Possible pest?!

robjrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - so I notice these worms?? on a small blue hornet frag I’ve had for a few weeks. I don’t have much experience with Zoa pests so I thought I’d come here.

All of my other zoas doing well and the hornets don’t seem bothered either (yet).

Tbh it looks like a mini brittle but I can’t see a body or other “legs” that would have me worry less.

Help please?!!

e4d9cb6e5de4501e113f92dcc9af48bd.jpg

Jus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - so I notice these worms?? on a small blue hornet frag I’ve had for a few weeks. I don’t have much experience with Zoa pests so I thought I’d come here.

All of my other zoas doing well and the hornets don’t seem bothered either (yet).

Tbh it looks like a mini brittle but I can’t see a body or other “legs” that would have me worry less.

Help please?!!

Bristle worms maybe

Help please?!!

only legs on one side? Kinda looks like bristle worms

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it is harmless (and beneficial). Just curious, did you dip the coral before adding? They rarely survive a dip.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hey Rob, others are correct that its a bristle star and I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you see asterina starfish start to pop up I would absolutely pluck them out.

OP
OP
robjrussell

robjrussell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rob, others are correct that its a bristle star and I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you see asterina starfish start to pop up I would absolutely pluck them out.

Hey Jay.

I definitely thought it was a brittle looking at the stripes on its legs. Just got nervous since I couldn’t see the rest of his body.

Cheers

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% brittle starfish. They reproduce in the aquarium. What youre seeing is its arm reaching out to catch food.
index.php

They look like this, and live in notches in rocks, under frag plugs, etc. They are my favorite hitch hikers and are 100% harmless.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like to hide their bodies and “go fishing” for food with their legs out. You are good to go !

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back