Possible Power Outage, what to do??

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
A little bit of a last minute question but I’m in the Tampa Bay Area and we’re about to get some nasty weather through the night tonight. I purchased a 296Wh camping battery that is fully charged and has a regular 3 prong outlet. I own a 13.5G Fluval Evo with 3 fish, a CUC and quite a few lps and softies. I’m doing my weekly water change in the next half hour and temp sits around 80 degrees 24/7, if we lose power the house will heat up but I have frozen water bottles prepared. My main question is I want to plug something into the battery backup but it won’t have enough juice to power a return pump and a hygger mini powerhead, which would be better to run if we lose power for <24 hours or so? Thanks for any advice on this!

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation would be the powerhead which will run longer than the return pump on the battery. You're after circulation and oxygenation. You may want to add a battery powered airstone to help with oxygenation as well.
Others I'm sure have other recommendations and insights.
The iced bottles is critical... your temp WILL increase, so having them handy will be important.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately most stores are closed now due to the inclement weather so hopefully I can go without the airstone for the night. Most of the weather should be over by 11am or so but who knows how long it’ll take to restore power if we lose it.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping the worst of it misses us. The last forecast I saw seemed like it was going to stay off shore a bit.

I have a portable generator. Since my AC won't be running I don't think I'll have to worry about heating the tank, so my plan is to add some cheap power heads I already have and put them into the tank. Point some up towards the surface etc. 3 or 4 of them should get me through things, and I won't have to worry about surges burning out my mp40s or my return pump.

MuscleBobBuffPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately most stores are closed now due to the inclement weather so hopefully I can go without the airstone for the night. Most of the weather should be over by 11am or so but who knows how long it’ll take to restore power if we lose it.
Move your power head up enough so it’s barely breaching the surface of the water. As it spins it will suck in some air and oxygenate the water.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping the worst of it misses us. The last forecast I saw seemed like it was going to stay off shore a bit.

I have a portable generator. Since my AC won't be running I don't think I'll have to worry about heating the tank, so my plan is to add some cheap power heads I already have and put them into the tank. Point some up towards the surface etc. 3 or 4 of them should get me through things, and I won't have to worry about surges burning out my mp40s or my return pump.
I’m hopeful! Unfortunately I’m on the coast of Pinellas so we’ll definitely get the higher winds and surge, plus the ridiculous amount of rain we’ve already been having. Sounds like I just need to get that powerhead to run for the duration of the power outage and keep the tank cool. Stay safe as well!

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move your power head up enough so it’s barely breaching the surface of the water. As it spins it will suck in some air and oxygenate the water.
I’ll do exactly this. I think I might stay up late until around 11ish and plug the powerhead in before bed so if we lose power there won’t be a possibility of not waking up and forgetting about it.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hopeful! Unfortunately I’m on the coast of Pinellas so we’ll definitely get the higher winds and surge, plus the ridiculous amount of rain we’ve already been having. Sounds like I just need to get that powerhead to run for the duration of the power outage and keep the tank cool. Stay safe as well!
Yeah I'm up near Bayonet Point. A few miles inland, enough that I don't need to worry about storm surge.

I keep track of the path on this website. it's all the predicted paths by models. They were over this far yesterday, but earlier this morning they were closer the coast. This afternoon they've moved out further in the gulf, but it's also predicted to be a little stronger now.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets see a pic of the tank full tank shot. we can check for biological details, mainly cleanliness vs pocketing of waste

cleaner nano reefs use less oxygen if things go out a while

so if someone had a really old nano that was untouched, naturally running but still a decent threat of insult coming in terms of current, temp etc, the ironic move is the safest, deep clean the system and lower biological and chemical oxygen demand before stillness comes. the ideal diversity isn't worth the overall lifespan of the tank, we'd reduce waste stores ideally in order to preserve the corals as top priority, along w fish

if you're relatively clean already, then hold course and prioritize lighting the least. I bet for 5 straight days or more of no light all things can be brought back slowly ramped up.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back