Possible to de-rim or eupobrace this tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JCrowe86
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JCrowe86

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 17, 2017
Messages
93
Reaction score
96
Location
Pensacola FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an older 100g tank 60"L x 18" W x 20"H with 1/2in thick glass. It has was appears to be a wooden rim with roughly a 8in wide glass cross brace in the middle. The way the cross brace is installed is it is siliconed to little glass lips they put on the inside of the tank. This lip is interfering with where I planned on installing my overflow box. I would have to put it lower than I want if it goes in the middle.

Would I reasonably be able to de-rim the tank and install just a glass cross brace across the top of the glass rather just inside of it as it currently is? Or could I eurobrace the whole tank or is just leaving it rimless an option?

20200505_161403.jpg
 
Never seen a tank with a wooden rim and I'm old. Slate bottoms yes, wooden rim no
 
I purchased an older 100g tank 60"L x 18" W x 20"H with 1/2in thick glass. It has was appears to be a wooden rim with roughly a 8in wide glass cross brace in the middle. The way the cross brace is installed is it is siliconed to little glass lips they put on the inside of the tank. This lip is interfering with where I planned on installing my overflow box. I would have to put it lower than I want if it goes in the middle.

Would I reasonably be able to de-rim the tank and install just a glass cross brace across the top of the glass rather just inside of it as it currently is? Or could I eurobrace the whole tank or is just leaving it rimless an option?

20200505_161403.jpg

Brace is there for a reason, taking it off and not replacing it is asking for trouble. Your tank will come apart at the seams sooner or later if you do that. What you could do thought is proper euro brace all around.
 
Never seen a tank with a wooden rim and I'm old. Slate bottoms yes, wooden rim no
Maybe it's plastic, not sure. I just know it's not like the standard aqueon/marineland trim.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new