Possible to treat urinoma in a new display tank?

Claymundo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not 100% sure if it's urinoma. But I fear the worst. Its a newly set up tank, if I didn't have any coral or fish in the DT yet could I dose something to get rid of the parasite and still be able to add corals down the line? I belive the first set of chromis I added into the tank may have had it.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think your tank has been exposed, the only thing to do is to clean it out and start over. The parasite can feed on detritus so it's not like other bugs. If it were me, that is what I would do especially since you don't have corals or other fish yet. However, Jay Hemdal, staff marine biologist, opines that a majority of our tanks have it. If you want to proceed as is, my suggestion would be to not get any chromis or other fish that are readily prone to get uronema.

I feel your pain. I have brought home 3 different Vandy Chromis from 2 different stores at separate times only to have them die in my QT tank with the bug. One was picked up as delivered to the store! Yes, I cleaned the tank and equipment each time. It's a losing battle potentially.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 8.0%
Back