Possible upgrade, let's think about light.

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

My wife has contingently approved an upgrade. I currently have a 40b with a pair DIY evil clusters (LEDs). I've been very happy with these and obviously have all the parts and theoretically my set up is expandable.

The upgrade I am considering is either 48x24x18 OR 48x30x18 (LxWxD). I'm starting to venture into SPS but ultimately this upgrade will be a mixed reef like my current tank.

My concern is, with a tank that is 24" or 30" wide, how can I combat shadowing caused by the point source nature of my LEDs? Assuming I stick with LEDs, how many clusters would I need to combat the shawdowing? Would 4 clusters down the middle with a pair of T5 maybe take care of it?

Alternatively, I've been considering just going with a pair of 250w MH. This would be an entirely new lighting scheme for me but I am sort of curious about how effective it is. I am still doing some research on this however my only real concern is heat. My only real question here, assuming I use the right reflectors, will a pair of 250w SE MH be sufficient?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 48x30x20 I don't have showdowing around edges of tank. Only shadowing I get is from Coral. Unless you plan on putt coral up agenst the back or front of your glass there is no issue. You can also set up some of the LEDs more towered the front of tank and tilt them towered center. I consider running t5 to help with coral shadowing but it really has not been a major issue. MH are great but it's all about the reflector. Main reason I don't use them any more is heat! And bulb change every9 months. Not the heat of the tank. Just the heat it adds to the house in summer. But they work.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mh bulbs are good for 12 months.

I run dual 250 14k halides in my 90. 48x18x24. They work great and have an awesome shimmer. I wouldnt try to talk you out of l.e.d. as ive never used them. But the spread of halides is great and as for heat of you use central air like i do, i have a heater, no chiller.

@Russ265 has alot of good info reguarding the difference and seems a little un bias. (Hope youre ok i tagged you russ.) But it seems quality wise both systems have ups and downs

brownsalt92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to a metal halide /t5 combo on my 90 gal tank also I love the look growth is amazing in 2 weeks

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the "umph" of the system should be led or halide imo. not both.

if you want to rid yourself of shadowing go t5 supplemental.

or go tried and true with halides/t5.

both are fine if you choose the right led or right halide system. i dont really see either as better. just gotta weed through the trash with all the led systems on the marlet

if you dont feel like led, you have decades of experience with halide systems.

im fine with evergrow black boxes personally. although, i hang 6 of them front to back.

OP
OP
HM3105

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 48x30x20 I don't have showdowing around edges of tank. Only shadowing I get is from Coral. Unless you plan on putt coral up agenst the back or front of your glass there is no issue. You can also set up some of the LEDs more towered the front of tank and tilt them towered center. I consider running t5 to help with coral shadowing but it really has not been a major issue. MH are great but it's all about the reflector. Main reason I don't use them any more is heat! And bulb change every9 months. Not the heat of the tank. Just the heat it adds to the house in summer. But they work.

What kind of lights are you using?

iLLwiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched back to T5s from LEDs and am loving it. That's about the same size tank I'm considering for my next upgrade and I'm planning on getting an 8 bulb ATI fixture with a couple blue reefbrite strips on the front and back.

OP
OP
HM3105

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried BlueAcro LEDs or heard anything about them ? I stumbled across them looking at another build. Apparently some dude at RC built these things....?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back