Possum wrasse flukes?

pres10c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a possum wrasse in observational quarantine for 12 days now. He settled in quickly and started eating frozen immediately. Behavior seemed normal. His color was paler than most pictures I’ve seen of them.

Today he has been very lethargic, he would come out only when I fed. He would peck and spit out shrimp for about 30 seconds, then right back to under his rock. I noticed during his time away from the rock, he is twitching/ rubbing. He also seemed to be missing some of the shrimp with his mouth that he went after. His pale color has stayed the same.

What are some recommended courses of action? Freshwater dip? Prazipro?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a possum wrasse in observational quarantine for 12 days now. He settled in quickly and started eating frozen immediately. Behavior seemed normal. His color was paler than most pictures I’ve seen of them.

Today he has been very lethargic, he would come out only when I fed. He would peck and spit out shrimp for about 30 seconds, then right back to under his rock. I noticed during his time away from the rock, he is twitching/ rubbing. He also seemed to be missing some of the shrimp with his mouth that he went after. His pale color has stayed the same.

What are some recommended courses of action? Freshwater dip? Prazipro?
How is the fish’s respiration rate?

I usually avoid observational quarantine for this reason - you need to react quickly if/when symptoms develop.

Freshwater dips only alleviate the symptoms, and won’t cure flukes outright.

I would try Prazipro, dosed twice, 8 days apart with really good aeration from an airstone.

If you post a video of the fish, I might have some more clues to work off from.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back