Post About Wasteful Spectrum in LEDs

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a chart of their "PAR" sensor implementation.. Sensitivity looks almost identical to "old" Apogee..

Therefore weak in UV.. weak after about 650nm..
Same little "jump" at 640-ish..
Look like they modeled it on the Apogee filter pack. if not close to identical..

There spectrum sensor (they claim more than one and patents imply its more than possible) is an interpolation from a RGB array.

http://www.google.com.pg/patents/US20140134052
Whoa , thanks for that link!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Seneye reported color temperature above its range in all of the preprogrammed settings on the Kessil AP700.
I'm pretty 99% sure it's because of this.

The pain in the meter for me , is the blue ratio in the mixes are hard spiked so it overloads the B sensor a bit and the the averaging algorithm can't compensate for a reading. (Error messaging)
It's one reason you can't take blue pictures well , Esp on a phone

I can color meter a raduim bulb , I can take pictures and movies at 27k (metered) outside in a valley w no direct sun , but can't meter a 14k native led.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a chart of their "PAR" sensor implementation.. Sensitivity looks almost identical to "old" Apogee..

Therefore weak in UV.. weak after about 650nm..
Same little "jump" at 640-ish..
Look like they modeled it on the Apogee filter pack. if not close to identical..

There spectrum sensor (they claim more than one and patents imply its more than possible) is an interpolation from a RGB array.

http://www.google.com.pg/patents/US20140134052
I admit I didn't read the whole patent claim, but isn't this the patent on the ammonia sensor?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit I didn't read the whole patent claim, but isn't this the patent on the ammonia sensor?

Well.. it's the explanation of the whole "concept".. including light paths, sensor, and possible filtering..

No, there is no direct mention of how they impliment PAR ect.. but it's left "open"

In embodiments, the two or more sensors are supported on a removable substrate, which enables the sensors to be changed or replaced relatively easily. In embodiments, each of the two or more sensors are configured to detect one or more of pH, ammonia (NH3), Oxygen, Carbon Monoxide, Humity or temperature. Although other chemicals or parameters may be possible.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa , thanks for that link!
graph2.png

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great!
What's that mean?
CCD is what captures the image on a digital camera (like film for an SLR).
And each has a set sensitivity to each of the larger groups of colors in the spectrum.
R G B. Film has three layers of chemicals , CC'd are inividual or combined , and Bayer are combined.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And each has a set sensitivity to each of the larger groups of colors in the spectrum.
R G B. Film has three layers of chemicals , CC'd are inividual or combined , and Bayer are combined.
Ah, ok, so this will allow you to better interpret readings from a Seneye and "translate" them into what you would use to meter for taking a picture (on film or digital)?

That in turn will allow for more useful information regarding the areas of the spectrum beyond what has been the focus of marine aquarium equipment?

In addition to being useful for aquarium photography?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, ok, so this will allow you to better interpret readings from a Seneye and "translate" them into what you would use to meter for taking a picture (on film or digital)?

That in turn will allow for more useful information regarding the areas of the spectrum beyond what has been the focus of marine aquarium equipment?

It wont provide data better than the tools made for the job but it should provide information that is more easily digestible by common folk like me (as opposed to the likes of Mr. Riddle).

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All visible light is the same , how it's used is just slightly different.
So it's all application.

Mixing the correct amouts creates different colors , for coral, we choose those amounts and colors for the coral.

I use a very broad and expensive set of tools to accomplish a similar thing for motion pictures.

I just happen to have cameras and corals.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wont provide data better than the tools made for the job but it should provide information that is more easily digestible by common folk like me (as opposed to the likes of Mr. Riddle).
A spectrometer can give me useful information about a light for corals and photography.
Once you know what the coral needs you can use that info. Same with cameras.

We don't have par meter though in cameras , we have a histogram.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't have par meter though in cameras , we have a histogram.

Matter of software.... you actually have PAR meter (or LUX) but no easy means of quantifying it..
you can digitize both wavelength and intensity and spit out a PAR value..
Technically all the data is already there..
Matter of fact it would be fairly easy to "compile" a PAR value from a (RAW) histogram..easy as in the right geniuses.. ;)
WAY above my pay grade though..
;)

Most sensors have the usual RGBG array and a High pass and low pass cutoff filter..
In photography the change in sensitivity /wavelengths is corrected by correction factors ie. see Uniwb for Nikon..
http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/camera-faq/what-is-uniwb.html

In PAR meters it is corrected by filters for the most part..

Of course the more one specializes the more you eliminate compromises..

There is no really good compromise for a spectro-photometer w/ out a diffraction gradient or prism and a linear CMOS array..

The ironic thing, in a sense, is that the Seneye w/ multiple sources of errors generally cancel out in the end.. ;)

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always considered LEDs to be stripped spectrum as is, let alone carry anymore unnecessary.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you thinking we're lacking (enough) 700nm Red to keep the two systems active/balanced under some circumstances? (Interesting idea, if so.)

Sorry for going back so far. No, the Emerson Effect is only noticable if you use only these specific wavelength. It only describes how it was discovered that there are two photosystems. As soon as there are wavelengthes that both photosystems absorb like for example blue light the Emerson Effect will disappear or be quite weak.

The antennae of brown colored algae look quite different from that of green algae by having mainly carotenoids as antenna pigments. The photosynthethic apparatus of dinoflagellates (the zooxanthellae are dinoflagellates) consists of 600 chlorophyll a, 354 chlorophyll c and 750 peridinin molecules in Gonyaulax and of 600 chl a, 378 chl c and 1200 peridinin molecules in Glenodinium. The carotenoids make the zooxanthellae appear brown and not green.

My book says that the antennae with the carotenoids deliver their energy mainly to photosystem II. It says blue light is mainly photosystem II light. So red light would mainly benefit photosystem I which gets its energy mainly from chlorophyll a.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back