Post dinoflagellates (please god), questions about red planaria toxins

bBurn18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, in November I let my nutrients bottom out in my 50 gallon. I got cyano. Got my nutrients in order over a few weeks by dosing both po4 and no3.

Cyano was going away but I was impatient and did chemiclean. It worked great but left behind dinos. They were probably there the whole time, I just could see them due to the cyano.

Started aggressively going after the dinos in December/January.

Tried a lot of things and was essentially a bunch of ups and downs. I think I finally have gotten them under control. I had LCA which were in my sand bed. Haven't found any under the microscope in weeks and have no brown patches anymore.

Zoas, palys, cyphastrea, and BTA are still quite unhappy.

Got me thinking about other forms of toxins that could be present and causing issues other than dinos.

I have very small red planaria ( https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/miniature-brown-worm-id-request.995876/ ) and I'm wondering if these guys are dying off and releasing toxins.

I know flatworm exit exists but I learned from my chemiclean saga that I should go natural whenever possible. I didn't mind the planaria but if the number has grown so large they are causing problems then maybe I have no choice.

What are your thoughts? Could the planaria be causing toxin issues or is it possible I still have dinos in the system that are releasing toxins?

Parameters:
1.025 salinity
0.30 PO4
25 NO3
9.3 Alk
26 degrees celsius

Did an ICP test and was looking pretty good. Only ones registering low were iodine and zinc. Had very small trace of aluminum but said it was within acceptable levels.

Thanks

PXL_20240523_164844380.jpg

OP
OP
bBurn18

bBurn18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth noting I have been doing 10% water changes about every ten days during the dino treatment process. So I don't think there has been some large accumulation of toxins that would be solve with one large water change.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back