Post-Velvet

Tyler Sim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I recently had a velvet outbreak that took out all of my fishes except two yellow wrasses. I fear another outbreak if i add fishes. What should I do?

Remove the two yellow wrasse and QT and wait for 67 days?
Or
Just quarantine new fishes that enters the tank after 67 days?

If @Humblefish could give me some advice, ill be eternally grateful!

Thank you!

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will likely chime in. But I will say that any fish left in the system should be treated while the system remains fallow for the appropriate time period. After this period, new additions should also be treated and quarantined prior to introduction.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long can velvet be in your system before it effects the fish. The reason I ask is that I recently had velvet wipe out all my fish in 24hr. My last addition was more than 3 weeks prior to this event. The suspected carrier, a PBT, was closer to 6 weeks though. He was brought into the LFS the day I took him. Is there a million variables as to when it can strike?

Sorry to revive this thread but I didnt think my question required a reason to start a new thread.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet does seem to have a bit of a windup, not exactly sure how long. Took a couple weeks from introduction to fish death, so it seems to ramp up exponentially and when it hits the critical point it kills virtually overnight.

I am actually just wrapping up my own velvet treatment.

What I understand from your post, you currently have not treated your wrasses with anything? If not, here's my recommendation, but I am not half the expert Humblefish is.

Option A: Remove the surviving fish into a new tank. It can be an aquarium, a tote, bin, anything of sufficient size that is watertight and won't leech or absorb chemicals. Add a sponge filter, heater, bacterial starters, and PVC fittings for the fish to hide in. Make sure the salinity and temperature matches so you can just catch and dump the fish in. From there dose whatever medications you want to treat the velvet. Leave your display tank completely fishless for a minimum of six weeks. After that six week period it should be safe to reintroduce fish.

Option B: Remove all rock, sand, coral, inverts, absolutely everything except fish, effectively turning your display tank into a quarantine tank. You may now dose with whatever meds you want. The material/inverts/coral you remove can be placed into a separate bin with whatever is required to keep them healthy. Leave it alone for six weeks, no fish at all. After that period, it can be reintroduced to the main tank.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Velvet does seem to have a bit of a windup, not exactly sure how long. Took a couple weeks from introduction to fish death, so it seems to ramp up exponentially and when it hits the critical point it kills virtually overnight.

I am actually just wrapping up my own velvet treatment.

What I understand from your post, you currently have not treated your wrasses with anything? If not, here's my recommendation, but I am not half the expert Humblefish is.

Option A: Remove the surviving fish into a new tank. It can be an aquarium, a tote, bin, anything of sufficient size that is watertight and won't leech or absorb chemicals. Add a sponge filter, heater, bacterial starters, and PVC fittings for the fish to hide in. Make sure the salinity and temperature matches so you can just catch and dump the fish in. From there dose whatever medications you want to treat the velvet. Leave your display tank completely fishless for a minimum of six weeks. After that six week period it should be safe to reintroduce fish.

Option B: Remove all rock, sand, coral, inverts, absolutely everything except fish, effectively turning your display tank into a quarantine tank. You may now dose with whatever meds you want. The material/inverts/coral you remove can be placed into a separate bin with whatever is required to keep them healthy. Leave it alone for six weeks, no fish at all. After that period, it can be reintroduced to the main tank.

I revived this old dead thread. I did not have a qt tank when velvet struck. It happened in less than 24 hours so I had no time to react. After 11 years in the hobby without any incidents, I finally came to my senses and got a qt tank. I also plan to get a coral qt tank as well. I'm 8 days into fallow.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back