Potassium Depletion and Two Part Usage

Which of these do you observe?

• I see depleted potassium and I use a DIY two part (such as from BRS)

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • I see depleted potassium and I use a commercial two part (like B-ionic)

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I see depleted potassium and use a CaCO3/CO2 reactor

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • I see depleted potassium and use only limewater (kalkwasser)

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I see depleted potassium and use something else or a combination of methods

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I do not see depleted potassium

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I don't know about potassium depletion or not in my system

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, can you calculate please how much KCl i should add to my Ca/MgCl2 mix (Real Two part :)) to compensate K ion displacement. And i'll report back in a month or so after, if there is still K depletion..

OK, I ran the calculation. Add about 13 grams of potassium chloride for each 500 grams of calcium chloride dihydrate in a two part. Add it to either part, or both (half in each part).

I I believe there will be because im dosing carbon and probably part of potassium is exported by skimmer together with bacteria. You know some strains of bacteria are capable to accumulate potassium 1000x more than concentration in surrounding water.

Not 1000x in seawater. That would be 10.2 M, which I doubt any organisms had internally of any salt (or all added together). They'd probably explode from the osmotic pressure. :D But I agree they will concentrate it. OTOH, the foods we feed should also be concentrating potassium relative to seawater. :)

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I ran the calculation. Add about 13 grams of potassium chloride for each 500 grams of calcium chloride dihydrate in a two part. Add it to either part, or both (half in each part).

Thank you very much, next time will mix with 13 grams KCl, currently there are 26 grams in 500 grams CaCl2*2H2O (calculated according consumption from previous two months).

Not 1000x in seawater. That would be 10.2 M, which I doubt any organisms had internally of any salt (or all added together). They'd probably explode from the osmotic pressure. :D But I agree they will concentrate it. OTOH, the foods we feed should also be concentrating potassium relative to seawater. :)
Yes, I believe 1000x was found in halophilic bacteria, in E.coli in sea water, potassium concentration could be up to 3-20x or so.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, next time will mix with 13 grams KCl, currently there are 26 grams in 500 grams CaCl2*2H2O (calculated according consumption from previous two months).

If 26 grams meets your depletion rate, there's no reason to add less. My calculation assumes no net consumption in the tank, just displacement when you maintain salinity and are adding sodium, chloride, and sulfate. :)

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but i'm not sure if my calculated depletion rate is correct, you know hobby tests are pretty inaccurate. So i'll test for about a month mix with 26 grams and if it is to much will try 13 gr.

sonnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a recent AWT test of my tank. About 1 year ago the tank got a 100% water change so this represents 1 year of potassium depletion. The daily ALK consumption is about 1.5 dKH and the tank gets about 10% water change about twice per month. The calcium/alkalinity is maintained with a calcium reactor and 2-part dosing. I would say they equally contribute to the alkalinity dosing. Lately I've been using the Tropic Marin 3-part dosing but BRS 2-part was used the majority of time.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a recent AWT test of my tank. About 1 year ago the tank got a 100% water change so this represents 1 year of potassium depletion. The daily ALK consumption is about 1.5 dKH and the tank gets about 10% water change about twice per month. The calcium/alkalinity is maintained with a calcium reactor and 2-part dosing. I would say they equally contribute to the alkalinity dosing. Lately I've been using the Tropic Marin 3-part dosing but BRS 2-part was used the majority of time.

FWIW, I would be wary of the AWT potassium number. They have a long history of seemingly giving low values. I'd double check it a different way before dosing that much potassium.

They fact they they give different values for ionic and total calcium is also troubling, since it is essentially all ionic in seawater.

sonnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I would be wary of the AWT potassium number. They have a long history of seemingly giving low values. I'd double check it a different way before dosing that much potassium.

They fact they they give different values for ionic and total calcium is also troubling, since it is essentially all ionic in seawater.

Good to know. Thanks

ohioboy706

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know a good potassium test too. I have a Salifert test that is close to running out and been on a waiting list for almost a yr.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not used any lately. When I tested a few years ago with the Fauna Marin, my tank did not appear depleted. When I got Triton tested a few months ago, that confirmed that it isn't depleted. So I've not used any kits recently.

I've seen some people have preferences between the Salifert, Red Sea and Fauna Marin potassium kits, but I've not seen a consistent trend in opinions on them, and I've not seen an accuracy evaluation of any of them.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update from my potassium experiment 14 days after. I put 26 grams KCl in 500 grams calcium part (CaCl2*2H2O), my potassium was 370 ppm (Salifert) in the beginning and is 360 ppm 14 days after. No water changes in between. I've calculated more than 1.1 ppm K consumption per day. Having in mind Salifert's test accuracy 10 ppm, i'd wait another two weeks prior final calculation.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update, 70 days after, average Potassium consumption in my tank is 2.53 ppm per day.

Unfortunately finished Salifert Potassium test, @Habib(Salifert) Habib you promised mid of November :)? @Randy Holmes-Farley , @JimWelsh do we have good/any DIY test for potassium:)?

Thanks for the info. :)

My DIY for potassium is to put the sample in a Triton envelope. :D

Back