Potassium nitrate (Spectracide stump remover) dosing steps

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know with any certainty if adding more is desirable (to prevent dinos) or undesirable (possibly more algae).

personally, I might be more worried about dinos.

Schgred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know with any certainty if adding more is desirable (to prevent dinos) or undesirable (possibly more algae).

personally, I might be more worried about dinos.

Was that in response to my question, Randy?

Somebody mentioned to me that the Redfield Ratio being out of whack was the reason I probably had a GHA outbreak. My phosphates were at .14 with 0 nitrates. I added GFO to bring the phosphates down thinking that would take care of the algae outbreak, but now I still have GHA, and cyano but simply have undetectable nitrates and phosphates (Salifert for Nitrates and Hanna for phosphates). I also have pale acropora which was also why I was thinking of dosing the stump remover.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all this great info. Question for you. I currently have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates with a GHA problem. If I dose stump remover to get the nitrates up will that just encourage the GHA? I know the nitrates and phosphates are in the system, but they are just bound up in the algae. I’m actively doing what I can to manually remove as much as possible.

It was meant in response to this post. Sorry, I didn't make that clear.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that in response to my question, Randy?

Somebody mentioned to me that the Redfield Ratio being out of whack was the reason I probably had a GHA outbreak. My phosphates were at .14 with 0 nitrates. I added GFO to bring the phosphates down thinking that would take care of the algae outbreak, but now I still have GHA, and cyano but simply have undetectable nitrates and phosphates (Salifert for Nitrates and Hanna for phosphates). I also have pale acropora which was also why I was thinking of dosing the stump remover.

I think meany people blame ratios for stuff that, IMO, has nothing to do with ratios.

If there is "enough" N and "enough" P for algae to thrive, the specific ratio between them is unimportant, IMO.
I will add that defeating algae by lowering nutrients can be a tricky business as you do not want to starve corals, or get into a world where dinos may begin to dominate.

Schgred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think meany people blame ratios for stuff that, IMO, has nothing to do with ratios.

If there is "enough" N and "enough" P for algae to thrive, the specific ratio between them is unimportant, IMO.
I will add that defeating algae by lowering nutrients can be a tricky business as you do not want to starve corals, or get into a world where dinos may begin to dominate.

Thank you very much for the thoughts. Seems like I'm walking a fine line... What do you think about this as a plan of attack?

1. Keep feeding as we have been (reef roids twice a week, LRS reef frenzy daily, FUEL twice a week)
2. Keep skimmer on (or off to bring up N and P?)
3. Keep refugium light on at night (or turn off to bring up N and P?)
4. Turn off GFO reactor (I did this a couple days ago when the Phosphates went down to 0)
5. Manually remove as much GHA as I can every day.
6. Dose stump remover to get the Nitrates to 3 and not higher.
7. Trust the CUC and yellow tang to help me with manually removing the GHA.
8. Trust that this is a phase that will pass eventually.

We have a bunch of acropora that I really don't want to lose, and I really don't want Dinos.

I'm replacing my RODI filters/membrane because I know the filters are past the date they are recommended to be changed even though TDS is 0. I'm wondering if they are leaching phosphates.

rx7ven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i just stumbled onto this thread since i need to raise my nitrates. i have a 28 gallon, the recipe to use is
"1 cup RODI + 1 Tablespoon stump remover". but how much do i put in my tank at a time? do i pour the whole cup in?

dmantz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you google James' planted tank calculator. It should find a dosing calculator. Fill in the blanks and you can customize your dosing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope by this time folks are moving away from using "stump remover" and are using the readily available and inexpensive materials with a quality control assurance.

Food grade or other high grade sodium nitrate preferably, or potassium nitrate, if you monitor potassium.

For example:

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope by this time folks are moving away from using "stump remover" and are using the readily available and inexpensive materials with a quality control assurance.

Food grade or other high grade sodium nitrate preferably, or potassium nitrate, if you monitor potassium.

For example:

Can you put a few more things we could use for nitrates? Which one would be better, sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate?

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For example:

Well shoot.. I just bought stump remover. Is there a brand people are gravitating to?

ru4serious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For example:

How far does 2 ounces go?

Back