Potassium Nitrate vs Sodium Nitrate... which one and why?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My no3 has been at 2-5ppm despite heavy feedings and im having struggles with certain zoas turning into tiny disc heads.

Not a lighting or flow issue.

Not a pest issue.

It has to be a nutrient issue with them not getting enough nitrogen

If I were to start lightly dripping diluted nitrate, which is better for zoas.... sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate? And why?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are tracking potassium to be sure it doesn't rise too much, sodium or calcium nitrate would be better choices.

Sodium because its rise is proportionally tiny compared to potassium since there is so much sodium already present, and calcium because calcium nitrate is a balanced alk and calcium additive.

Atrumblood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since ocean no3 levels are around 0.1 I dont think thats your issue, imo.
My tank runs the same 2 to <5 no3.
I would rather be lower <5 than higher.
I would say that nitrates could be it. I was running really clean with my nitrates below 3 ppm for a while and my zoas were looking rather sad. After I skipped a water change and got the nitrates up between 5 and 10 ppm, they all seemed to perk up. Some softies really like some nitrate with their water.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A selection of zoas (not all of them) have developed into tiny heads. Before this week, I was a strong doser of tetraselmis phyto. I believe this phyto has stripped my water of avail nitrogen.

My deep dive research looked at lighting (checked that box), flow (checked that box), pests (checked that box), major minor elements (checked that box).... it has to be that my available nitrogen that has been stripped away from the zoas with too much phyto.

Going to do a slow roll drip dosing of food grade sodium nitrite (per RHF suggestion) and see how the zoas react

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Just bought this on Amazon, SHOR brand (99.95% pure):
41nltanwxyL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Any suggestions of the amt of these crystals to dilute in 2 gals of RODI and slowly dripped at 1 droplet per second (2g gone in 24-32hrs) in my total water volume of 200-220g'ish???

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The problem with the age old idea of matching the ocean nutrient levels of nitrate and phosphate is that we apparently do not match it well for other sources of N and P (such as plankton), and so may need to make up for it by dosing ammonia or nitrate or phosphate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Any suggestions of the amt of these crystals to dilute in 2 gals of RODI and slowly dripped at 1 droplet per second (2g gone in 24-32hrs) in my total water volume of 200-220g'ish???

I'd use this calculator for dosing and the entry for potassium nitrate.

Was there any purity grade on that material, or just the number?

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there any purity grade on that material, or just the number?

Copy Paste off Amazon

Description​

Used in the process of refining gold. When refining gold to very high purity (99.95%+ pure), it is essential to use Reagent Grade (chemically pure) chemicals. Reagent grade is the highest purity available

So I guess "reagent grade "....If I got the wrong stuff, plz tell me ASAP so I can cancel!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

That is the same brand that I bought fairly recently because Randy recommended sodium nitrate more than potassium nitrate. Also, read the description closer it doesn't say the sodium nitrate is 99.95% pure, it's talking about refining gold to 99.95% pure.and

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the same brand that I bought fairly recently because Randy recommended sodium nitrate more than potassium nitrate. Also, read the description closer it doesn't say the sodium nitrate is 99.95% pure, it's talking about refining gold to 99.95% pure.and
I think its reagent grade hes really after.
Lol I hope what he got is good its what ive been using for last year and half.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the age old idea of matching the ocean nutrient levels of nitrate and phosphate is that we apparently do not match it well for other sources of N and P (such as plankton), and so may need to make up for it by dosing ammonia or nitrate or phosphate.
Yes but I did not say to match it. Was just offering the fact that mine runs similar levels as his.
I also practice heavy in/out.
I have 15 fish in a 120 and I believe they supply enough of said nutrients from feeding 10 cubes a day.
I do not feed the corals in my system only the fish.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its reagent grade hes really after.
Lol I hope what he got is good its what ive been using for last year and half.
Good to know I was going to add some this evening. I had been using stump remover up until now.
It does say chemically pure but I doubt it really is.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but I did not say to match it. Was just offering the fact that mine runs similar levels as his.
I also practice heavy in/out.
I have 15 fish in a 120 and I believe they supply enough of said nutrients from feeding 10 cubes a day.
I do not feed the corals in my system only the fish.
This is an auxiliary set of questions to my original post. Plz feel free to PM Randy or start your own thread. Thanks

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

I use the same. Its listed as reagent grade which is suitable for food, medicinal and drug uses.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the same. Its listed as reagent grade which is suitable for food, medicinal and drug uses.
If I were dilute this in 2 gals of RODI and drip it over 24-34 hrs, how much of these crystals to dilute? 1 teaspoon/5ml? 2 teaspoons/10ml?

That calculator above is corn-fusing

Goal is to get my zoas eating the nitrogen while I still keep po4 under 0.5ppm with my ongoing LaCl drip thru 5micron sock.

Forever fighting po4 due to my fresh seafood at deli counter choices. Fat happy fish but fat happy po4 levels

Last edited:

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were dilute this in 2 gals of RODI and drip it over 24-34 hrs, how much of these crystals to dilute? 1 teaspoon? 2?

Goal is to get my zoas eating the nitrogen while I still keep po4 under 0.5ppm with LaCl
Why don't you start with 5ppm dose and see what your daily consumption is over a week and slow drip whatever daily consumption is once you have that established?
Not sure how comfortable I'd be dripping nitrates not knowing what average daily dosage is for at least a week.
Id also be testing everyday because daily usage can change.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the calculator you can mix up whatever concentration amounts you want really.
Think if you averaged 5ppm daily usage it would be easier to start with a 5ppm daily drip if that makes sense.
Maybe whip up a 1ml equals 1ppm mix and slow drip 5ml daily.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Our tanks are not like wild reef. Reef tanks, especially those with skimmers, have almost sterile water columns deprived of food that corals would eat (planktons).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back