Potassium test kit numbers

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I'm looking for a potassium test kit that will measure much higher than 470ppm. I have the salifert and that's where it tops out at. Which one reads well beyond that? Thanks :) just playing around with my potassium levels to see if there's any deeper/richer pigment change with a few of my corals.

Last edited:

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
tought salifert reads higher but anyway higher will kill everything

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see raising it slow and steady would be detrimental to SPS. In fact several people have raised it 2x's and even heard of one person raising it 4x's NSW. Justin Credable briefly talks about it during MACNA 2014. My levels at the moment are beyond what Salifert reads and corals look fine.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't see raising it slow and steady would be detrimental to SPS. In fact several people have raised it 2x's and even heard of one person raising it 4x's NSW. Justin Credable briefly talks about it during MACNA 2014. My levels at the moment are beyond what Salifert reads and corals look fine.
Good to know. if you dont mind sending me any link that talk about this i would really appriciated cause i was always under the impression that to high potasium is detrimental to corals.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would like to run my potassium at around 800 ppm for a while to see if there is a positive difference as stated above. I've heard of people doing this and the claims of great colors but do not have a test kit that will read anything that high............that's where I'm looking for input.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would like to run my potassium at around 800 ppm for a while to see if there is a positive difference as stated above. I've heard of people doing this and the claims of great colors but do not have a test kit that will read anything that high............that's where I'm looking for input.

Assuming you start with normal levels, you can readily determine how much to dose to hit that level. That might just as accurate as using a kit. More accurate if you know your total volume well. :)

FWIW, I have heard of folks with problems and none with advantages of overdosing potassium, but those aren't controlled studies.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the salifert which goes up to 470 and I haven't found one that goes much higher. I'd like to keep mine in the 500 range.

Randy, would diluting the test water by half with rodi give half the result? So 500 diluted would be 250?

I've also heard Justin mention something about "retitrating"

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how important the salinity is for a potassium test accuracy. You can test that by taking some tank water, getting a result, and adding RO/DI to the tank water to see how the value drops, and if it drops by the dilution amount expected.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I just tested it. My potassium right now reads 400ppm (10 drops). I added 0.5ml of tank water and 0.5ml of ro/di water. It took 30 drops which would be 200ppm. The test shows the reading down to 250, but if 1 drop equals -10ppm, the result would be 200. So it seems to be right; keep in mind I only did a couple of tests through.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't follow what you said, but if the test on the same total volume of water (which is half tank water and half RO/DI) gave half the potassium level, then you are good to go with dilution. :)

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had K at around 420 (not really high) for a couple months now. No negative results. I can't say that I can really tell a difference in anything though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back