Potassium Test Kit

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused with these test results, its ridiculous. I have tested mag more times this week, than I have in the last year. I am down in Gulfport MS right now, but Rick, I will come over asap when I get back and bring my water and my test kits, and we'll have a test kit party. yay:tongue:

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested potassium this morning and got 422 ppm. According to my salt mix that shouldn't be but i have been dosing Seachem Reef Plus and noticed it has potassium in it. So for those of you supplementing with Reef Plus your potassium should be good.

OP
OP
M

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused with these test results, its ridiculous. I have tested mag more times this week, than I have in the last year. I am down in Gulfport MS right now, but Rick, I will come over asap when I get back and bring my water and my test kits, and we'll have a test kit party. yay:tongue:

Definately..... I have to pickup another Seachem Mag test kit soon. I only have a few tests left with it.

I tested potassium this morning and got 422 ppm. According to my salt mix that shouldn't be but i have been dosing Seachem Reef Plus and noticed it has potassium in it. So for those of you supplementing with Reef Plus your potassium should be good.

Cool. Good catch on the suppliment addition. Always good to read any ingedients on anything dosed.

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nevermind. I forgot I dosed 28 oz of Mg tonight so that will bring me up a bit. I need to get that Seachem test kit and figure out how much my tank is using up.

Based on my calculations your Mg should be about 1000 after 28oz of Mag solution. so subtract 1000 from whatever your Red Sea kit is saying.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone using to dose Potassium? Where did you buy/order it?

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Red Sea Coral Colors B. I got mine at Aquatic Critter.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I kinda looked at those today, guess I missed the potassium part, think I looked at the "Energy" one for longer though. Have you noticed any difference since you started using it?

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered some Red Sea Colors B online with a test kit and new salifert MG test kit. I will keep you guys informed as to what happens once I get a consistent regiment of potassium.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I kinda looked at those today, guess I missed the potassium part, think I looked at the "Energy" one for longer though. Have you noticed any difference since you started using it?

Oh yeah. My orange monti cap had turned pink and now it is back to it's orange color. All the corals seem to be growing faster too.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. How long have you been dosing it? Seems so far to be a great idea. Thanks for sharing Mike.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically just used it to raise my levels about a month ago and it is holding steady right now so I haven't been dosing it.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the potassium test, and I got a reading of 380. What are you guys going for? 400-420? I just read on an old thread that 380 was where you wanted to be? Oh, and I just read the label on Reef Plus and there was no mention of potassium on my bottle. Mitch, said his had it, anybody else use the stuff?

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef plus mentions potassium bromide and potassium iodide in the ingredients under the percentages, not sure these are what is needed to raise potassium....

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the potassium test, and I got a reading of 380. What are you guys going for? 400-420? I just read on an old thread that 380 was where you wanted to be? Oh, and I just read the label on Reef Plus and there was no mention of potassium on my bottle. Mitch, said his had it, anybody else use the stuff.

potassium bromide and potassium iodide I think make up the potassium from red sea also but I cannot verify that yet. I am shooting for 400, but overshot it to 450 :). The red sea salt mix has 400 K @35.5 ppm so sounds good to me

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also reading that there is a fine line between good high numbers and overdosing, and it becoming toxic, and killing everything in the tank.....I wonder what that number is? ??

sent from chris using my unsmart phone

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. Mine was as high as 480 and It did not have any ill effect on my stuff. Bill said his was in the 450 range also. So don't think it is that fine of a line past 400.

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Plus doesn't list it as an additive but it has it as an ingredient. This is the only way my potassium is at 420 since I have never dosed it and IO salt mix doesn't contain that much. My colors look good except for the new, tiny frags are just showing colors at the tips. I guess they need to encrust first(growth) and then start coloring up fully.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back