Potentiel buyer questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've been looking to purchase a controller for a couple months.

At first I was leaning very hard towards the CoralVue Hydros, but i've started researching GHL products since last week, and now i'm really not sure anymore because the GHL hardware looks awesome, and proven reliability is always welcome.

I still have questions and concerns regarding the GHL ecosystem, so i'll post them here and add more as they come.

1. With the Standalone 2.1 doser, can the level port be used even when connected to the Profilux?

2. I've watch lots of videos on youtube regarding configuration, and I have to admit that it's really not user and beginner friendly. Are there any plans to improve, or even completly overhaul the UI? Simple wizards that asks questions and guides you into what you actually want to do would be great, instead of having to hunt menus over menus. Even the simple addition of being able to rename sensors and sockets, or a text box to add comments would be awesome.

3. Can the Profilux control small DC utility pumps, like the Tunze osmolator pump?

4. What is a breakout box, and what is it used for?

5. Can I use other sensors than the ones sold by GHL? Like the Autoaqua skimmer security optical sensor, can I just cut the sensor's wire, and somehow plug it in the Profilux?

6. Are there plans for cloud integration with 3rd party products, like with Ecotech pumps and lights?

7. Is there a cheaper powerbar available, with less features?

8. Can the Profilux send text messages, or push notifications? I've seen that push notifications was coming, but not sure if it's released yet.

9. Speaking of upcoming features, which features/improvements has been confirmed to be added in the future?

Thank you !

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See replies below.

Hi everyone,

I've been looking to purchase a controller for a couple months.

At first I was leaning very hard towards the CoralVue Hydros, but i've started researching GHL products since last week, and now i'm really not sure anymore because the GHL hardware looks awesome, and proven reliability is always welcome.

I still have questions and concerns regarding the GHL ecosystem, so i'll post them here and add more as they come.

1. With the Standalone 2.1 doser, can the level port be used even when connected to the Profilux?
Once a SA doser is switched to slave mode, the level ports, temp, Wi-Fi and LAN are disabled. The doser is will now be listening to the commands being given from the master device. A SA doser (now slave) cannot give commands to a master device.
2. I've watch lots of videos on youtube regarding configuration, and I have to admit that it's really not user and beginner friendly. Are there any plans to improve, or even completly overhaul the UI? Simple wizards that asks questions and guides you into what you actually want to do would be great, instead of having to hunt menus over menus. Even the simple addition of being able to rename sensors and sockets, or a text box to add comments would be awesome.
The UI is a continuously evolving platform and suggestions are always welcome. Wizards are on the to-do list. As it stands, the setup and programming process involves the use of drop-down boxes and many commands can be setup in only two steps.

Step 1: Create the function
Step 2: Assign the function

Renaming sensors and sockets is super easy and can be done in less than 1 minute. For example, if you wanted to name a temperature probe, you just select that probe and type-in a name for that probe. The process is the same for sockets, level functions, timers, dosing schedules, etc.
3. Can the Profilux control small DC utility pumps, like the Tunze osmolator pump?
If you DIY their cable and connect a plug to it, sure. That plug would then be connected to an available powerbar socket and assigned to the ATO task.
4. What is a breakout box, and what is it used for?
BO boxes are multi-purpose accessories which can be used for controlling 1-10V pumps and lighting which do not offer dedicated GHL control cables. It can also be used to connect relays.
5. Can I use other sensors than the ones sold by GHL? Like the Autoaqua skimmer security optical sensor, can I just cut the sensor's wire, and somehow plug it in the Profilux?
Yes, you can use 3rd party sensors like this one.
To go this route, you would need the PLM-ADIN card and a breakout board so you can connect the sensor to the BO board.
6. Are there plans for cloud integration with 3rd party products, like with Ecotech pumps and lights?
This one is a two-way street.
We still support Vortech pumps prior to the Mobius update.
7. Is there a cheaper powerbar available, with less features?
Sure. That would be the STDL4-4 which has 4 outlets and less built-in features than the PB-6E.
8. Can the Profilux send text messages, or push notifications? I've seen that push notifications was coming, but not sure if it's released yet.
Yes to text notifications.
Yes to push notifications (via an app like Pushover)

Native push notifications is another feature in the pipeline.

OP
OP
Lucas815

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Vinny for the thorough answers!

If you DIY their cable and connect a plug to it, sure. That plug would then be connected to an available powerbar socket and assigned to the ATO task.
For the DC pump control, I've found that box that seems to control 12V pumps. Is it still compatible with the Profilux 4?
PumpControl 1, USA/CND – GHL USA (aquariumcomputer.com)
That would solve the issue as it seems that I can just plug the wires of the 12V DC pump and get going.
I'd want to use small DC pumps like the Tunze Osmolator pumps as an AWC to change 1Gal/day, because my water reservoir is in the basement and these pumps got great head height.

Yes to text notifications.
Is that with the SMS device thing with the SIM card, or it's through the internet without any special device?

OP
OP
Lucas815

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the DC pump control, I've found that box that seems to control 12V pumps. Is it still compatible with the Profilux 4?
That would solve the issue as it seems that I can just plug the wires of the 12V DC pump and get going.
I'd want to use small DC pumps like the Tunze Osmolator pumps as an AWC to change 1Gal/day, because my water reservoir is in the basement and these pumps got great head height.
After researching a bit more, I just understood what you meant... I can just get a DC power supply from Amazon with the correct voltage and amp, wire it to the pump and switch it with the power bar... I guess that would be better and cheaper indeed.

OP
OP
Lucas815

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question...

Can I use 3rd party sensors with the GHL Profilux?

I'm thinking specifically about the AutoAqua Skimmer Security optical sensor, which can easily be mounted on the outside of the skimmer. The plugs are not compatible, but can probably be cut and rewired.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Vinny for the thorough answers!

Is that with the SMS device thing with the SIM card, or it's through the internet without any special device?
The PumpControl 1 accessory is specific to 1-10V controllable Hydor Koralia pumps, not just any 12V pump.
Yes, this accessory is P4 compatible.

If you are in the USA, you can have the P4 send text messages through the email notification system.
We have an article which shows how this is setup:
How to setup email and text notifications – GHL (International) (aquariumcomputer.com)

After researching a bit more, I just understood what you meant... I can just get a DC power supply from Amazon with the correct voltage and amp, wire it to the pump and switch it with the power bar... I guess that would be better and cheaper indeed.
Yes, that's correct. :)

Another question...

Can I use 3rd party sensors with the GHL Profilux?

I'm thinking specifically about the AutoAqua Skimmer Security optical sensor, which can easily be mounted on the outside of the skimmer. The plugs are not compatible, but can probably be cut and rewired.
If you go that route, you wouldn't need to connect it to the controller since it can turn itself OFF when the cup gets full.

For full notification, the GHL float sensor is the best way to go. It's less expensive too.

sylvius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go that route, you wouldn't need to connect it to the controller since it can turn itself OFF when the cup gets full.

For full notification, the GHL float sensor is the best way to go. It's less expensive too.
This makes sense and I intend to try to fit a float into my relatively modest skimmer cup. However, out of curiosity using a cutoff device like that could you program profilux to send a notification if that socket is suddenly drawing much lower current?

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes sense and I intend to try to fit a float into my relatively modest skimmer cup. However, out of curiosity using a cutoff device like that could you program profilux to send a notification if that socket is suddenly drawing much lower current?
Once the power monitoring features is ready, yes.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back