Potters Angel not eating

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a second potters angel from LA so I can try to pair with the my current one. It came with lympo and little beat up tail, but was active in QT. He hasn't eat anything in 20 days and look pretty skinny now. He went through 2 dose of prazi, but no cupramine yet. I tried everything including clams/mussles in half shell. I cannot get him to eat anything. At first, he would nip at mysis time to time, now he doesn't even do that anymore. This is not my first Potters either.. I am running out of ideas.

thanks,

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some blood worms, live black worms if you can get some. Live brine might also be an option. I would be offering things to it all the time and something different each time until you figured out what it is interested in. Garlic might also help.

What is the QT setup like? It's needs to be as low stress as possible.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a second potters angel from LA so I can try to pair with the my current one. It came with lympo and little beat up tail, but was active in QT. He hasn't eat anything in 20 days and look pretty skinny now. He went through 2 dose of prazi, but no cupramine yet. I tried everything including clams/mussles in half shell. I cannot get him to eat anything. At first, he would nip at mysis time to time, now he doesn't even do that anymore. This is not my first Potters either.. I am running out of ideas.

thanks,

I wouldn’t suggest putting a fish that’s not eating through copper. Potters generally get too stressed in virtually any treatment in my experience unless they’ve had some time to acclimate...

They’re largely “vegetarian” so could try live algae, perhaps even nori, but a better bet is frozen spirulina or one of the frozen angel mixes that contains sponge high up on the ingredients list. I’ve also recently had pretty good luck with the masstick paste food and a finicky flagfin angel.

If your QT is free of prazi and meds could try putting a well established piece or two of live rocks from your DT and see if it will pick on it. Good luck! Gorgeous fish!

OP
OP
P

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a typical QT setting. Barebottom tank with heater and aquaclear 110 filter. Few PVC pipes. I did try nori and he is not interested. I will try some more live food tonight such as live brine and blackworms. I hope he will start eating soon. I would love to pair him with my current potters.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Pairing will be another challenge, definitely curious to hear.

Really hope live food works, I'd also try putting some live rock if you have a smaller piece that can be easily taken out of your sump or DT and you can do without it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving him a cave to hide in, live rock with sponge for grazing, dim lighting.

Another thing I have found to help fish not acting like themselves is a meth blue bath.

OP
OP
P

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave him some live blackworms yesterday but no luck. I am surprised that he is still alive at this point. I will throw some liverock in there and see if his behavior changes.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For certain difficult fish like the potters angel (and leopard wrasses) I use my invert QT tank. Although I appreciate that most folks may not have one, mine is setup essentially as a mini analog of my main tank, replete with live rock, sand and plenty of hiding spots. Problem feeders can graze while getting accustomed to frozen foods. My LemonPeel took over a month before it would take anything, but it was a grazing machine. Other than NFG powder during initial acclimation, I never use any meds on a fish until it has started eating.

OP
OP
P

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now it is day 23 and he is showing interested in pellets and blackworms. He isn't really eating them yet but I saw him trying to nip at both of them. I thought he was goner for sure, but now I am seeing some hope.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the last two potters I’ve quarantined I didn’t see eat voraciously. They get through somehow, so they must be eating. Perhaps they were eating nori while I was at work!

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New life spectrum 0.5 size was the first food my took to. Let it soak for 5 mins before giving it to him.

For picky eaters I usually pour five drops of garlic in the water mins before I feed to get their attention.

Reefkeeper12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks,
I’m sure it’s too late now but mine likes to graze on algae, nori works once he’s already graIng on algae in the tank IME so I’d put him in a tank that has algae growing in it, next mine was in a tank full of pineapple sponges and he never touched them but he enjoys mysis. I’ve heard they usually like sponges but again your best bet is put him in a tank with pineapple sponges and algae growing naturally and see if he eats them.

313DE316-EA09-46E4-91B8-DB77CD6BA7B0.jpeg F9424B8A-8D6B-4866-B7C2-725F481ED82E.jpeg 307F912D-F18D-4067-B42B-284E5177055F.jpeg 25CC55AF-22F0-4BD7-A936-29211A715C6E.jpeg 49B84FF3-2349-4AF8-8AB4-DBAD7DCBC38C.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back