Another picture ….

IMG_9720.JPG

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I first got mine I would use a little mastick and some LRS/Rods and mash it into a clam on the halfshell and drop it down in there and let him pick at it. After a while they picked up on the LRS/Rods (and everything else now) and they're spawning (or at least trying):

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didn’t eat prepared foods for months. Instead, it grazed every single millimeter of rock I have until every single mm was devoid of any algae and anything it could pick. Mine is super fat. Once the surfaces were clean and nothing was left to eat, it began taking flakes and frozen.

NJDragonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for one I used to have one but then I had to give him back because he was nipping at corals now I have a 450 fish only system they are very picking but they would like mysis and brine

Angryminer_07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had luck adding a potter to a tank with established flame?

I was looking at adding another dwarf but I’m worried with my current flame being well established.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had luck adding a potter to a tank with established flame?

I was looking at adding another dwarf but I’m worried with my current flame being well established.
[/QUOTE

Hi there! What size tank do you have? I will tell you about my issue I had a few months ago. I have a 200 gallon tank. I had an established half black angel. I bought a beautiful 2 inch potters that was a trade in at my LFS. The second I dropped the potters in my tank the half black went crazy. I immediately got the half black out...took two nets and about a hour....and put him in the sump. I didn't want to risk putting him back in the tank a few days later so I traded him in at the same LFS. Potters is happy as a clam...!

Each fish is different though....so you can try it, but be prepared to remove one or the other. Keep in mind with a Potters they don't handle stress well, so if your flame goes crazy be prepared to take action right away. I wasn't going to just sit by and let them sort it out if you know what I mean. Dwarfs can do a lot of damage to the new dwarf in a short amount of time. Hope my experience helps.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! What size tank do you have? I will tell you about my issue I had a few months ago. I have a 200 gallon tank. I had an established half black angel. I bought a beautiful 2 inch potters that was a trade in at my LFS. The second I dropped the potters in my tank the half black went crazy. I immediately got the half black out...took two nets and about a hour....and put him in the sump. I didn't want to risk putting him back in the tank a few days later so I traded him in at the same LFS. Potters is happy as a clam...!

Each fish is different though....so you can try it, but be prepared to remove one or the other. Keep in mind with a Potters they don't handle stress well, so if your flame goes crazy be prepared to take action right away. I wasn't going to just sit by and let them sort it out if you know what I mean. Dwarfs can do a lot of damage to the new dwarf in a short amount of time. Hope my experience helps.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys take the best fish pics! Maybe I need to tell my fish to sit still or use a better camera other than my phone! LOL! Here are my recent sub par pics. He he!

Beautiful potters everyone!

IMG_20200121_161208.jpg IMG_20200131_170055.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Let it graze. Once grazing, I dropped flakes in and it showed interest then went for the secret weapon - LRS herbivore diet and this us an eating machine now
591E98D8-2185-4376-A832-F2CB271FB5F6.jpeg
FDDFF9C6-899B-45CD-B0F5-28DC3A95565F.jpeg
591E98D8-2185-4376-A832-F2CB271FB5F6.jpeg
FDDFF9C6-899B-45CD-B0F5-28DC3A95565F.jpeg
E57BD634-1ECA-427E-B4E7-D829D3FC16B3.jpeg
AB30737D-8F11-48B7-8C75-922F97ED5EB5.jpeg
E57BD634-1ECA-427E-B4E7-D829D3FC16B3.jpeg
AB30737D-8F11-48B7-8C75-922F97ED5EB5.jpeg

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got mine I would use a little mastick and some LRS/Rods and mash it into a clam on the halfshell and drop it down in there and let him pick at it. After a while they picked up on the LRS/Rods (and everything else now) and they're spawning (or at least trying):

Nice Potters Huff! I am glad they are doing so well!

Angryminer_07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

125gallon display with lots of rock work. The flame covers most of it weaving in and out of the rock work. Guess I’ll wait on the potter until the flame dies or I up size the tank.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125gallon display with lots of rock work. The flame covers most of it weaving in and out of the rock work. Guess I’ll wait on the potter until the flame dies or I up size the tank.
That's a pretty decent size display. You could try it and see what happens....but it was a total pita to get my half black out quickly. I was surprised how aggressive that half black was. I knew the potters wouldn't last long if I didn't get him out.

Fish Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first potters was a model citizen with a mixed reef. I lost him in a power outage a few years ago. That fish ate like a pig & never touched any corals.

A month ago I added a small potters to our established 240. He was eating mysis at the store but won’t touch any frozen at home. Doing nothing but grazing besides an occasional bite of nori. I’m pretty sure he’s started coral nipping. I’m about to lose a hammer & my button coral is showing an inch of skeleton.

He’s on the thin side so I’m not sure if I should treat with Prazi yet. I’ve tried every flake, pellet, frozen & he won’t touch it even soaked in garlic. Ignores clam on the half shell, not really interested in nori. I added Ulva lettuce & red ogo to the display yesterday & it doesn’t look like he’s interested in that either.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first potters was a model citizen with a mixed reef. I lost him in a power outage a few years ago. That fish ate like a pig & never touched any corals.

A month ago I added a small potters to our established 240. He was eating mysis at the store but won’t touch any frozen at home. Doing nothing but grazing besides an occasional bite of nori. I’m pretty sure he’s started coral nipping. I’m about to lose a hammer & my button coral is showing an inch of skeleton.

He’s on the thin side so I’m not sure if I should treat with Prazi yet. I’ve tried every flake, pellet, frozen & he won’t touch it even soaked in garlic. Ignores clam on the half shell, not really interested in nori. I added Ulva lettuce & red ogo to the display yesterday & it doesn’t look like he’s interested in that either.
Have you tried these frozen options:
  • LRS foods (Reef Frenzy or Fish Frenzy)
  • Hikari Mega Angel Marine (has sponge - good for angels)
My Potters eats more nori than my other dwarf angels. If you have bigger more boisterous algae eaters, add an extra nori clip in your tank far away from other nori clip.
Use a turkey baster, if you aren't already to feed thawed frozen foods. That way you can blow meaty food to boisterous eaters in one directions. Then some for timid fish in other direction.

If he still doesn't respond & it looks like a disease issue instead of timidity... look @ pulling him to treat in QT where he can be treated, eat & get back to a healthy weight.

Fish Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried these frozen options:
  • LRS foods (Reef Frenzy or Fish Frenzy)
  • Hikari Mega Angel Marine (has sponge - good for angels)
My Potters eats more nori than my other dwarf angels. If you have bigger more boisterous algae eaters, add an extra nori clip in your tank far away from other nori clip.
Use a turkey baster, if you aren't already to feed thawed frozen foods. That way you can blow meaty food to boisterous eaters in one directions. Then some for timid fish in other direction.

If he still doesn't respond & it looks like a disease issue instead of timidity... look @ pulling him to treat in QT where he can be treated, eat & get back to a healthy weight.

I’ve tried LRS reef frenzy, Rod’s reef formula & fish eggs, Ocean Nutrion Formula 1 & 2 & prime reef, Hikari mysis, PE mysis & calanus, live & frozen brine. There is plenty of live sponge in the tank & he won’t touch it. I did grab some Sally’s angel food so I’ll try that now for lunch.

No one touches the nori except for a few bites from the potters. We only have 14 fish & the only other grazers are a tailspot blenny & a cherub. There’s only minimal displaying from the cherub & the potters is top dog.

I feed with a turkey Bastet at 3 different spots in the tank upfront & shot some frozen in the back.

Apart from ripping the tank apart to get him out, I’m debating Prazi for the entire tank. I’ve used it before in the reef without issues. I don’t even know how I could get meds into him if he’s not eating even in a Qt.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back