Potters angelfish dead within 5 days of purchase

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I purchased a male potters angelfish about 6 days ago from the LFS, who looked to be in perfect condition and eating at the store. This store keeps their fish holding tanks at hypo (I believe around 1.019). Anyways, got the fish home and decided not to quarantine (I know dumb mistake) and add straight to the 90 gallon display with several other fish including a female potters angelfish. I drip acclimated him for 3 hours. When first introduced he was eating mysis as well as picking at the rock work and continued looking good and eating for 2 days. No aggression from the smaller female or any other fish, and seemed to be getting along really good. Day 3 started to notice some labored breathing, less picking at the rocks, and constantly displaying to my cleaner shrimp to be cleaned (he actually did this behavior as soon as he went in). Day 4 more lethargic behavior, no eating or rock picking, and heavy quick breathing. Day 5 same thing and decided to treat display tank with prazi. Might have helped slightly for a few hours but did not last long.

Day 6 decided to remove fish for a freshwater dip in a black bucket with rodi that had been aerated for 30 minutes. In the dip within 30 seconds he was on his side and continuing to breath heavily but by about the three minute mark he was starting to slow down breaths and not responding to any stimulation by me. He came out of that and went straight into QT and was laying on his side on/off with labored quick breathing until he died 4 hours later.

Trying to get some closure on this. Internal parasites maybe? Nothing looked to have come off in the freshwater dip.. no signs of trauma, lesions, anything externally except maybe a few little chunks out of the tip of his tail, otherwise immaculate. Any thoughts you all can provide? QT has always been situational for me but from now on everything will go into QT.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

I purchased a male potters angelfish about 6 days ago from the LFS, who looked to be in perfect condition and eating at the store. This store keeps their fish holding tanks at hypo (I believe around 1.019). Anyways, got the fish home and decided not to quarantine (I know dumb mistake) and add straight to the 90 gallon display with several other fish including a female potters angelfish. I drip acclimated him for 3 hours. When first introduced he was eating mysis as well as picking at the rock work and continued looking good and eating for 2 days. No aggression from the smaller female or any other fish, and seemed to be getting along really good. Day 3 started to notice some labored breathing, less picking at the rocks, and constantly displaying to my cleaner shrimp to be cleaned (he actually did this behavior as soon as he went in). Day 4 more lethargic behavior, no eating or rock picking, and heavy quick breathing. Day 5 same thing and decided to treat display tank with prazi. Might have helped slightly for a few hours but did not last long.

Day 6 decided to remove fish for a freshwater dip in a black bucket with rodi that had been aerated for 30 minutes. In the dip within 30 seconds he was on his side and continuing to breath heavily but by about the three minute mark he was starting to slow down breaths and not responding to any stimulation by me. He came out of that and went straight into QT and was laying on his side on/off with labored quick breathing until he died 4 hours later.

Trying to get some closure on this. Internal parasites maybe? Nothing looked to have come off in the freshwater dip.. no signs of trauma, lesions, anything externally except maybe a few little chunks out of the tip of his tail, otherwise immaculate. Any thoughts you all can provide? QT has always been situational for me but from now on everything will go into QT.
It sounds like 'velvet' - which can kill quickly - is not helped with prazipro - and does not often have the characteristic spots. Of course it could be something else as well. @Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The symptoms do sound like velvet. However, many potters have a rough time adjusting to tanks post capture. Any idea how long the LFS had it before you got it?
Although not the key issue here, you need to be very careful acclimating fish from hypo to a full strength tank. If your DT was at 1.025 SG, and the fish was coming from 1.019, I would take 24 hours to bring the fish up....and that can’t be done by drip, you need to do that in a tank. Dropping salinity is never an issue like raising it is.
Jay

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, thank you guys for the input. Pretty torn up about this one

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great, thank you guys for the input. Pretty torn up about this one
Sorry its always a difficult thing. Suggest - I would not buy from a store keeping fish a far way from where my tank is. Thats just opinion. But it does make it easier

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back