Powder blue and powder brown

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was supposed to get a powder blue and powder brown today for my 450 gallon tank, but the blue had died in QT. Now, I’m nervous that if I get the blue at a later date, the brown will be overly aggressive towards it.

I know that each fish is different and anything can happen, but with that large of a tank, do you think it’ll be okay to add a second of that genus later down the road?

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added a yellow tang after having two established scopas tangs and a sailfin.
Then a purple tang a few months later. Thankfully I didn't have an issue. Then I tried to replace a powder blue that had died and my yellow tang ended up beating him to death. Ended up going fallow and reintroduced all my fish back at the same time with a new powder blue and didn't have any issues. Some people have success with an acclimation box for a few days or hanging a mirror on the side of the tank. I would probably take the powder brown out for a week or two and introduce them back at the same time.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank size is good but it will depend on what other fish you have and rockscape. can't you get another blue right now? introducing all the tangs at the same time would be your best option. you can also try mirror trick or acclimation box but these tangs are disease prone when stressed so try avoiding that if possible.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank size is good but it will depend on what other fish you have and rockscape. can't you get another blue right now? introducing all the tangs at the same time would be your best option. you can also try mirror trick or acclimation box but these tangs are disease prone when stressed so try avoiding that if possible.

After the blue I’d be tanged out. Lots of rocks for hiding

Attachments

• 44EFFD23-4CEA-488F-9120-0950593C58D3.png
    44EFFD23-4CEA-488F-9120-0950593C58D3.png
    388.5 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The mirror trick has worked wonders for me, but only about 50 percent of the time. Definitely worth a try though if there’s any aggression

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the blue I’d be tanged out. Lots of rocks for hiding
Is midas blenny in already? tangs can have beef with blennies too since they graze on algae as well. My tomini forced my bicolor to its hidey hole. even though the midas came in a month or so earlier and was established. I had a hard time feeding it.
if you get a bigger naso that will help too. they are like peacekeepers especially if they are bigger than other tangs.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is midas blenny in already? tangs can have beef with blennies too since they graze on algae as well. My tomini forced my bicolor to its hidey hole. even though the midas came in a month or so earlier and was established. I had a hard time feeding it.
if you get a bigger naso that will help too. they are like peacekeepers especially if they are bigger than other tangs.

Yup he is, I’ve had really good luck with all my tanks/fish, minus one relentless purple and kole tang. I over feed, so i think that really helps...

I’ve heard Acanthurus are especially aggressive towards other Acanthurus.. however with the size tank I’m hoping it’ll be fine and that I’m worrying for nothing. I’m trying very hard for a disease/parasite free/ healthy tank and i want to keep the nonsense to a minimum,.. but the powder blue looks so awesome ha

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Expect a little squabbling the fist day or two but to make it easier as in my case./ . . . Introduce the PBT at lights out and move the scape around slightly so Powder brown has to find a new hang out spot. Lay a mirror against tank where the brown favors and it will be focused on the mirror opposed to PBT. Also plant some nori around tank to keep the brown busy

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup he is, I’ve had really good luck with all my tanks/fish, minus one relentless purple and kole tang. I over feed, so i think that really helps...

I’ve heard Acanthurus are especially aggressive towards other Acanthurus.. however with the size tank I’m hoping it’ll be fine and that I’m worrying for nothing. I’m trying very hard for a disease/parasite free/ healthy tank and i want to keep the nonsense to a minimum,.. but the powder blue looks so awesome ha
may be I am one of the few who don't find PBTs attractive. actually after my tomini died of ich and took 5 more fish with it I am weary of tangs. I do want a nasso in my tank though. may be a tomini or yellow eye kole if I can find someone with professional QT services.( in melb, AU)

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may be I am one of the few who don't find PBTs attractive. actually after my tomini died of ich and took 5 more fish with it I am weary of tangs. I do want a nasso in my tank though. may be a tomini or yellow eye kole if I can find someone with professional QT services.( in melb, AU)

I was just about to recommend someone, but then i saw the AU at the end lol. It’s so nice having someone QT fish for me.. now my goal of having a parasite free tank is actually possible

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back