Powder Blue aggression, or playing with Powder Brown?

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Powder Blue Tang and a Powder Brown Tang. Bought at the same time from the same quarantined tank.
The Brown is about 4.5 inches. The Blue is about 3/4 the size of the Brown. I'd say that 99% of the time, they get along great with each other, and with the other fish in the tank.
However, every once in a while, the Blue will just flip out, and dart around the tank, circle the Brown once, and as suddenly as he starts it, he suddenly stops and goes about his own business. There's seemingly no aggression (other than what I described, if that is indeed aggression). No nipping and it only happens for a split second or so. The two even buddy up with each other.
I will add that I have seen the Brown doing the "submission shake" to the Blue once or twice.
Has anyone seen this with their fish? Do you think the Blue is just playing, or do you think it is something that will get progressively worse into a real aggression?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish can’t talk, so What you witnessed was “Tang talk”, …
….what you need is a interpreter :anguished-face:

seriously tho, usually for aggression: 3 of a kind is better than 2… is the tank big enough?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs will fight every now and then and express dominance over food or area here and there. That's what tangs do to each other

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs will fight every now and then and express dominance over food or area here and there. That's what tangs do to each other
Thanks, but there's no fighting. Just the Blue darting about for a split second. I've never seen them attack each other, and the Brown just seems to ignore the Blue when he does that.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is aggression and will lead to one cutting the other rather you see it or not. Just a heads up. You can see those tangs dart like that when you are cleaning the tank and then you will find a razor cut on your hand. You didn't see it but you feel it later when you wash your hands. That are not darting because you scared them, its warning the other fish about something.

Oh they will fight sooner or later. Its what they do. My tangs will get into a little scirmish every now and then about somthing. Food, sleeping area, hey its 4oclock and I dont like the way you looked at me. LOL.

Good luck

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is aggression and will lead to one cutting the other rather you see it or not. Just a heads up. You can see those tangs dart like that when you are cleaning the tank and then you will find a razor cut on your hand. You didn't see it but you feel it later when you wash your hands. That are not darting because you scared them, its warning the other fish about something.

Oh they will fight sooner or later. Its what they do. My tangs will get into a little scirmish every now and then about somthing. Food, sleeping area, hey its 4oclock and I dont like the way you looked at me. LOL.

Good luck
Gotcha. Thanks!!
LOL on the 4 o'clock thing!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back