Powder Blue Fins Ragged

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
92512AE9-1225-452A-AAF4-AF1F9C73EDF0.jpeg
I had this guy in a 75 gallon HT with cupramine for 27 days and came home to see it struggling to swim and then lay on the bottom.
I quickly set up a 15 gallon tank with copper free water and put him in it.
I put some prazipro in this tank and what I assume was flukes started falling off of him.
I thought he was going to die but has made a great comeback in two days.
Now his fins look ragged.
What do the masters think could be doing this to his fins? Reaction to copper?
I have some api general cure if it might help. Really want this guy to make it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you saw things fall off of him after prazi I suspect flukes caused the fin damage. Now it looks like it does have an infection, requiring treatment with antibiotics outlined above. Make sure you re-treat with prazi pro 5-7 days after your first dose to kill the hatching eggs.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this guy is a fighter. I was able to find some kanaplex Thursday and begin treatment with that.
I have kanaplex, metroplex and furan-2 ordered and they will be in Saturday. I will treat with all 3 beginning Saturday.
His tail is gone to the yellow, but the erosion appears to have stopped, and he had some red on his bottom fin that has disappeared too. The kanaplex apparently works very fast.
He is not swimming, but is laying on the bottom of the tank moving his pectoral fins and moving his tail like he wants to swim, but not flailing around.
I have to try to get him to eat, so I may have to place some nori in front of him and see if he will take it.

I read a post by @Humblefish called Alprazo's salvage protocol" linked here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/alprazos-salvage-protocol.213599/

It is mainly for ich and velvet, but should I reduce the temperature and salinity as in that article?

OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he is looking better every day. I bought some kanaplex locally and started dosing him with that. I just did the 3rd dose last night. I ordered metroplex, kanaplex and furan 2 from amazon using prime, and of course my packages are late. I just got the furan 2 yesterday so I doesed that for the first time with the kanaplex last dose.
Hoping metroplex will be here today, but was hoping to dose the plexes together.
He is eating nori off a rock and hits it eagerly, so that is a great sign. One odd thing is he swims on his side a lot, but when I put the nori in it is more noticeable. He has started swimming in a more normal vertical position over the last day.
I am still amazed at how he is recovering, I surely thought he would die.

OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today makes 7 days since the first prazi treatment. Is it safe to mix Prazi with furan2 and metroplex? The bottle says not to mix with other meds.
Might have to wait until the antibiotics are finished to dose prazi again.

OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been two days since I stopped treatment and added carbon. He is looking great. Fins growing back and he acts a little antsy in the 15 gallon tank now. Maybe he has figured out it is too small for him finally.
I am considering putting him back in the 75 with the rest of the fish in the HT. All meds stopped for all of them now, just observation until they go back in the DT.

Sfplaya1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been two days since I stopped treatment and added carbon. He is looking great. Fins growing back and he acts a little antsy in the 15 gallon tank now. Maybe he has figured out it is too small for him finally.
I am considering putting him back in the 75 with the rest of the fish in the HT. All meds stopped for all of them now, just observation until they go back in the DT.
Any pictures?

OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B0A5C027-F7CD-44CA-B09D-5E6AB451EFD5.jpeg
67E3F779-98F8-4A98-B9FC-4A617E03A9FD.jpeg
BC373C4D-4D26-4D68-89DC-04B429228F2D.jpeg
Hard to get good pics because he doesn’t slow down much. I put him in the 75 with the others. So far he is not getting picked on.
His tail was gone almost to the yellow. Now starting to see the second black stripe coming back. Dorsal and anal fins also coming back nicely.
Hoping for a full recovery now and into the DT at the end of January.

OP
OP
L

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly this fish got another, or possibly the same infection again a week before it was to go into the DT. I tried the same treatments again but it did not make it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back