Firefish sick

magicSmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I noticed my firefish showing signs of distress yesterday and when I came home today, he seems to have gotten much worse.

He is breathing heavily, low energy/movement, ragged fins. Maybe some marks on his side?

1000004316.jpg

A while back, my clowns became territorial and started nipping at his fins. Once I removed them from the tank, he healed up nicely and whatever this is seems to be very sudden.

I currently have him in a quarantine tank but don't know where to start treatment. Any advice or insight into what this could be is greatly appreciated!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone! I noticed my firefish showing signs of distress yesterday and when I came home today, he seems to have gotten much worse.

He is breathing heavily, low energy/movement, ragged fins. Maybe some marks on his side?

1000004316.jpg

A while back, my clowns became territorial and started nipping at his fins. Once I removed them from the tank, he healed up nicely and whatever this is seems to be very sudden.

I currently have him in a quarantine tank but don't know where to start treatment. Any advice or insight into what this could be is greatly appreciated!
This is a delicate fish subject to aggression and may have reoccurred with clowns who are territorial.
Fish will have to be isolated for best chance of healing. This really does not require treatment but isolation from culprits

OP
OP
M

magicSmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a delicate fish subject to aggression and may have reoccurred with clowns who are territorial.
Fish will have to be isolated for best chance of healing. This really does not require treatment but isolation from culprits
The clownfish were removed from this tank about 2 months ago and, since then, the firefish had healed very quickly and was back to normal within 2 weeks.

The symptoms I have described above were very sudden (within the past 2-3 days) and I have not seen any other fish being territorial with him. All of the other fish/inverts are also acting fine with no signs of illness or stress.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The clownfish were removed from this tank about 2 months ago and, since then, the firefish had healed very quickly and was back to normal within 2 weeks.

The symptoms I have described above were very sudden (within the past 2-3 days) and I have not seen any other fish being territorial with him. All of the other fish/inverts are also acting fine with no signs of illness or stress.
Are you providing it a place to hide (tubes, etc) Heavy breathing may be elevated ammonia, gill flukes or intimidation from others. Often fish are on their best behavior when in your presence.

OP
OP
M

magicSmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you providing it a place to hide (tubes, etc) Heavy breathing may be elevated ammonia, gill flukes or intimidation from others. Often fish are on their best behavior when in your presence.
He has many hiding spaces away from the established territory of other fishes.

I will keep an eye on him for now and dose some stress guard to help heal his injuries.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He has many hiding spaces away from the established territory of other fishes.

I will keep an eye on him for now and dose some stress guard to help heal his injuries.
Stress guard wont do much . good water quality and diet however will help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1000004316.jpg

The ragged tail fin is the only real clue in the photo. Has it been with no other fish? Did the fin heal up completely after the first issue with the clowns, or is this damage leftover from that?

Rapid breathing in this case is a sign of gill disease - the two most commonly seen would be protozoans or flukes. Given the fin damage, I’d lean towards flukes. Prazipro dosed twice, 8 days apart would be a good treatment for that.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back