Powder Blue not eating

xsquyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my blue tang of 3 years not eat for the last week. It is breathing normally, but doesn't swim as actively and has stopped eating. At the same time that i noticed that it had stopped eating, I did have a Lamarc angel die "suddenly" (with no signs of injury or infection- picture below for reference.)

Should I be worried? received_1127156714953079.jpeg received_341228628890857.jpeg

Attachments

• 20240217_164415.mp4
    34.1 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have my blue tang of 3 years not eat for the last week. It is breathing normally, but doesn't swim as actively and has stopped eating. At the same time that i noticed that it had stopped eating, I did have a Lamarc angel die "suddenly" (with no signs of injury or infection- picture below for reference.)

Should I be worried? received_1127156714953079.jpeg received_341228628890857.jpeg
Gills appear red and may be a sign of flukes. IF flukes, other signs will be elevated breathing rate, sudden darting across tank, loss of appetite and hiding. Its hard to tell from a dead carcass but helpful would be a video under white light intensity of the powder blue tang

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any time a fish stops eating for more than a day or two (except for eels) it is pretty serious.

The fish looks good otherwise, I presume the other fish are all doing well?

How long had you had the Lamar’s angel before it died?

Jay

OP
OP
X

xsquyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is the best video I can do without him going into hiding.

Overall tank inhabitants are doing good as far as I can tell. I haven't noticed anything unusual with the others.

I haven't noticed any heavy breathing, twitching or darting in and out of any of the fish, including the powder blue.

I've had the Lemarc for over 2 years. Ever since it was a tiny baby to about 5 inches.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is the best video I can do without him going into hiding.

Overall tank inhabitants are doing good as far as I can tell. I haven't noticed anything unusual with the others.

I haven't noticed any heavy breathing, twitching or darting in and out of any of the fish, including the powder blue.

I've had the Lemarc for over 2 years. Ever since it was a tiny baby to about 5 inches.

Sorry. there just are no symptoms to see, so no way to have a diagnosis. The two issues may or may not be related.

There are only a few things that will cause a normally healthy, long term fish to stop eating (or in the case of the Lamark's) up and die. Gravel stuck in the "throat" can do this, but I've never seen that happen to a tang, and then, the fish will still nose up to the food with interest, just won't eat.

Jay

OP
OP
X

xsquyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thnks Jay and everyone for the advice.

I'll keep an eye out for any other symptoms.

Could this be related to possible ammonia spike? or simply bad water quality (havent done water changesin years)? I did have a very very large astrea snail die week prior that was not taken out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thnks Jay and everyone for the advice.

I'll keep an eye out for any other symptoms.

Could this be related to possible ammonia spike? or simply bad water quality (havent done water changesin years)? I did have a very very large astrea snail die week prior that was not taken out.
I’ve never seen an ammonia spike in a long established tank unless something killed off the beneficial bacteria.

Lack of water changes could result in high nitrate and low pH - how are those parameters?

Jay

OP
OP
X

xsquyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, im seeing some progress today. I did a 30g wc yesterday and it seem to perk up the PB as he is out swimming and picking at the rocks. Big boss atitude is back but Still hasn't eaten solid food from this afternoons feed.

Bad news, my Purple tang appears to regressed with the same symptoms. In the past 3 days I have noticed it become increasingly timid--Not unusual as he has always been shy but it is noticeably inactive and stopped eating today. It has been under the same rock since this morning.

Jay @Jay Hemdal , I have never monitored pH or Po4 in this tank.

Attachments

• 20240221_165511.mp4
    15.4 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, im seeing some progress today. I did a 30g wc yesterday and it seem to perk up the PB as he is out swimming and picking at the rocks. Big boss atitude is back but Still hasn't eaten solid food from this afternoons feed.

Bad news, my Purple tang appears to regressed with the same symptoms. In the past 3 days I have noticed it become increasingly timid--Not unusual as he has always been shy but it is noticeably inactive and stopped eating today. It has been under the same rock since this morning.

Jay @Jay Hemdal , I have never monitored pH or Po4 in this tank.

Perking up after a water change implies some issue with the water quality. You should check the pH with an accurate pH pen. You can get one on Amazon for under $20. Test the pH before the lights come on in the morning and then before they go off in the evening, and let me know the relative numbers.....

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, pH tested at 7.4

That's too low. What time of day did you take the test? You need to test before the lights come on, and then again just before the lights go out at the end of the day - that will tell me if carbon dioxide is an issue in the tank.

OP
OP
X

xsquyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oohh thats right.. I will take it again tonight. I got a little too exited when I found a local ph meter.

Update: All fish are out and about. PB still picking at the rocks, but didnt touch frozen food. All fish showing very little interest in the nori thats been sitting out since last night. Purple tang showing no interest in anything.

Attachments

• 20240222_163231.mp4
    22.4 MB
  • 20240222_163213.mp4
    27.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oohh thats right.. I will take it again tonight. I got a little too exited when I found a local ph meter.

Update: All fish are out and about. PB still picking at the rocks, but didnt touch frozen food. All fish showing very little interest in the nori thats been sitting out since last night. Purple tang showing no interest in anything.
The tank’s surface is really still , that allows for more carbon dioxide to build up and the pH to drop. Algae pulls carbon dioxide during the day, so you’ll see a shift in pH from low in the morning to higher in the afternoon.
You can also just add good aeration and see if the pH rises from that.

OP
OP
X

xsquyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true, i have a large pump pointing downward for flow so there is very little agitation. I have a rather large skimmer on this system rated for 500gallons. Also want to note, I've only started to run a small AI prime light on this tank for less than 2 months. The tank has been running for 3 years without consistent lighting.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true, i have a large pump pointing downward for flow so there is very little agitation. I have a rather large skimmer on this system rated for 500gallons. Also want to note, I've only started to run a small AI prime light on this tank for less than 2 months. The tank has been running for 3 years without consistent lighting.
The skimmer s in the sump? It may be supplying enough aeration, the pH shift will tell you. Another trick: take a cup of water out of the tank and measure the pH. Then, aerate the heck out of it for a couple of hours and see if the pH rises. If it does, you have a carbon dioxide issue. If it stays at 7.4, you need to either do more water changes or add buffer to get the pH closer to 8.

OP
OP
X

xsquyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, skimmer is in the sump. I also repositioned the pump to agitate the surface more.

I'll try the cup method today!

Tested pH again today, before lights on in AM and roughly same time as yesterday in PM, both reading was roughly 7.3...oddly, reading in the cup, in the same agitated water column reads 7.4.

OP
OP
X

xsquyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For giggles, I tested pH in sump and was surprised by pH reading between 6.7-7.0..Is this normal or this probe cant be trusted?

Attachments

• 20240223_154103.jpg
    20240223_154103.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240223_144356.mp4
    6.1 MB
  • 20240223_144323.mp4
    10.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For giggles, I tested pH in sump and was surprised by pH reading between 6.7-7.0..Is this normal or this probe cant be trusted?

I wonder about the probe. Has it been recently calibrated? One simple test is to mix up a gallon of new seawater, aerate it/mix it for an hour and measure the pH of that with this probe. You should get a reading of 8.1 or higher. If you get a lower reading than that, the pH probe is bad. If the probe is good, then you tank simply will need a series of good water changes to get the pH back up to acceptable levels (for me, that's 7.8 or higher, 8.0 or higher for reef tanks).

OP
OP
X

xsquyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH probe is now calibrated.

pH 7.86 is what I got this mornjng when lights turned on for 1 hr.

Purple tang stopped eating and is not in good shape. Found it floating around and was able to grab it with my net. All the other fish including powder blue is eating pellets and algae but still would not touch frozen.

Attachments

• 20240301_113600.jpg
    20240301_113600.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240301_112852.mp4
    18.4 MB
  • 20240301_112842.jpg
    20240301_112842.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 18

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back