Powder blue picking at my torches??

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
My powder blue tang is constantly picking on my torches. I have a purple, green and gold. He picks on all of them but the gold the most (of course).

I feed the tank at least one sheet of nori a day and around 5-7 cubes of frozen food a day along with some flakes. This is a 180g tank.

Does this happen to anyone else? I am trying to get this to stop as the torches obviously do not like it.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my system the biggest nippers of my acros are currently a few tangs, not the angels. My suggestion would just be to continue the heavy feeding and maybe the PBT will eventually get tired of the torches...or maybe he’ll kill the torches before that. You could also try to place some sort of a barrier around the torches that still allows adequate light and flow to the corals.

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately some fish just enjoy picking at the coral more than others. You can try to change up some of the fish food, diff brand of nori perhaps, to try and discourage the behavior. Other tricks I've seen are creative coverings for the coral (plastic bottle that has holes & slots for example).

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big? How many times do you feed it a day? I have limited experience. Mine is about 3". It eats a lot. It loves pellets more than nori. It doesn't care much for frozen. Try feeding it more pellets. Good luck.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
he eats a ton when I feed and always eats the nori when I feed the tank. He is around 5-6 inches.

He has been picking at the torches probably for around 6 months. He will go like a week straight of randomly picking at them and then stop for a week, so on and so on.

I feed frozen when I am home for lunch and also at night. But mostly it is only 2 larger feedings but I feed for around 30 minutes each time.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try feeding less food at a time, but increasing the times you feed. Tangs graze all day, so aren't built for 1 or 2 big feedings a day.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Try feeding less food at a time, but increasing the times you feed. Tangs graze all day, so aren't built for 1 or 2 big feedings a day.

I added an automatic feeder last night as I am getting 15 yellowtail damsels to hopefully add a lot of action and color to the tank

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back