Powder Blue Tang Behavior

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a weird chain reaction actually. The powder started off picking at the elegance and torch tips and got gradually worse. Three other fish that I have had for a long time all of a sudden started picking on them too. I re-homed a Coral Beauty about a month ago. Today, I am re-homing the PBT, pinktail trigger and Valentini Puffer. It was like monkey see, monkey do...lol. I put the elegance in low light and low flow and it is making a comeback...yea!! The torch is a tough bugger and wasn't really affected by the picking too much. All the fish have very good homes now...away from temptations. I lost a milli, birdsnest, two small acan colonies, setosa and a blueberry gargonian. Maybe my drama is over now. Sorry about your elegance. It's just fish being fish I reckon.

"Monkey see, monkey do" for sure! We finally gave up on fleshy LPS in our big reef and have moved them all to our 30g nano where they are much happier.

Glad to hear all of the fish found good homes!

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my remaining fish and I are so relieved! lol It's like I have a totally different tank now. Everyone is sooo cool and calm, just enjoying themselves. The powder blue had ADHD and was driving everybody crazy. Whew! Reefin on.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my remaining fish and I are so relieved! lol It's like I have a totally different tank now. Everyone is sooo cool and calm, just enjoying themselves. The powder blue had ADHD and was driving everybody crazy. Whew! Reefin on.

Glad to hear everybody is happy now, what size tank was this guy in? How often did you feed it veggies? How often did you just feed it? How many fish were in with it? My yellow tang is the enforcer of my tank an keeps everybody in line, do you have an enforcer in your tank? How much flow, open space and hiding space? I just want to get to the bottom of what was making him act like this since it so different than any powder blue I've ever experienced and it has me very curious.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_DSC0969.jpg

He was in a 180g.
He got fed three times a day. He was getting Rod's Herbivore Blend, Formula Two pellets or flakes and a sheet of nori every day.
There were 11 fish I think, with the Sailfin Tang being the enforcer. They squabbled quite regularly for the middle cave. There was plenty of swimming room for him as well as hiding space. There is lots of flow in the tank. I think he was bored. He really needed a larger tank than my 180.

Glad to hear everybody is happy now, what size tank was this guy in? How often did you feed it veggies? How often did you just feed it? How many fish were in with it? My yellow tang is the enforcer of my tank an keeps everybody in line, do you have an enforcer in your tank? How much flow, open space and hiding space? I just want to get to the bottom of what was making him act like this since it so different than any powder blue I've ever experienced and it has me very curious.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back