Powder Blue Tang Behavior

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_DSC0889.jpg
I have a beautiful healthy Powder Blue Tang that my husband just loves. I, however, am not as much a fan as he is. This fish will take corals and push them off their perches (even glued down) then when they hit the sand, he pushes them around on the sand bed from one end of the tank to the other, like a dog plays with a ball. He killed my bubble coral, he picks the neon tips off my torch and he has just about killed my elegance coral. Today, his toy is a Christmas Favia about 3" x 4"! Is this normal behavior? I'm fed up with him, and about to trade him in for something else! I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with PBT. If I had it to do over again, I would have no tangs in my tank.

smoyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is strange behavior not sure why the fish is doing this. Most tangs don't usually bother corals. Powder blue tangs are one of the tangs I try to talk people out of getting. If you choose the right tang they can be great additions to the proper sized tank.
I have a couple of questions:
What are you feeding? What size tank is it in? What other fish do you have?

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g mixed reef. I have a Sailfin Tang about 9", and a Scopas Tang that is about 6". I have a Pink Tailed Trigger, 2 wrasses, 2 clowns, bicolor blenny, watchman goby, longnosed hawkfish, yt damsel and a Valentini Puffer. I feed Rod's Food, Nori sheets, New Life Pellets and Formula 2 pellets - not all at once..lol.. I switch it up, but they get some nori daily.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say that the Scopas and Sailfin are excellent in the tank and never been a problem. The Scopas IMO is overlooked a lot of times because they aren't as colorful as the others, but is a great fish.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PBT does not act like that at all, never bothers coral or other fish except my yellow belly blue tang and PBT fight every once and a while

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Last edited:

smoyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any issues with what you posted other than that PB tangs can be difficult to keep. PB tang are very territorial and vigorously their algae stands in the wild. The presence of fish that they would other wise drive off could be negatively effecting the fish to act strangely.... But that is a guess

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today Mr. PBT has taken two acan frags and a trumpet frag and placed them in a pile.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, today Mr. PBT decided one of my small birdsnest colonies was a soccer ball. It is now in pieces. He gets nori everyday! I think he's bored to death. He's getting a new home in a FOWLR tomorrow.

mando123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have one this ....question any one just last night my powder blue was just doing ok feeding well i woke up this morning n he is acting weird now breathing fast he is the pig in my tank now he does not go after its food like he always does for some reason my heather went weird my temp was at 85° is this the cause that my powder is acting weird ? my other fish look ok **** i will hate to loose him for sure

mando123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my blue powder is acting weird this morning he was fine yesterday feeding well this morning he is acting weird looks like he lost weight over night he is not eating today n he is the pig in my tank ....there was a problem with my heather over night my water temp this morning was at 85°f could this be the reason is he gonna die ? i hope not **** it! any one help with any suggestions?

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my blue powder is acting weird this morning he was fine yesterday feeding well this morning he is acting weird looks like he lost weight over night he is not eating today n he is the pig in my tank ....there was a problem with my heather over night my water temp this morning was at 85°f could this be the reason is he gonna die ? i hope not **** it! any one help with any suggestions?

PBT are sensitive to big swings in parameters, unfortunately yours does not sound good. Refusing food and overnight weight loss are not good signs at all, and as far as I know, all you can do at this point is bring eveything back to normal and cross your fingers.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

mando123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea this sucks big time i hate heaters right now he is my hospital tank right now with meds for fungus/parasite crossing my fingers and praying had him for a while he did get some kind of a white spot more like spot where he lost its color it is not ich maybe a parasite so lower my salinity and trew some meds in there he is my reef tank baby :-( i guess he is paying for killing my hurlequin tusk last year ....

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are high strung fish and get stressed easily. I hope your little buddy makes it.

Rotdrache

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping for the best with your powder. I recently lost my powder, but want able to determine why. It is possible temp could have fluctuated.

As for the original question on this thread, mine loved picking at coral plugs to get hitchhiker algae. He was the best picker I've had!

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Connie, from your description of your PBT's behavior, it definitely sounds like he was bored and using your coral frags to entertain himself. Hope he found a good home in the fowler tank.

Our Desjardini damaged an Elegance coral stealing food from it. Although the damage was unintentional, once it was done, the smell of fresh "meat" was too much for our Regal Angel and Tomentosus filefish to resist. We removed the coral within minutes, but too much damage was done to save it.

mando123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup mine just lost its fight just gave up on life :-( rip buddy it's sad how these guys are just quick on dying on us sad day for me!

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a weird chain reaction actually. The powder started off picking at the elegance and torch tips and got gradually worse. Three other fish that I have had for a long time all of a sudden started picking on them too. I re-homed a Coral Beauty about a month ago. Today, I am re-homing the PBT, pinktail trigger and Valentini Puffer. It was like monkey see, monkey do...lol. I put the elegance in low light and low flow and it is making a comeback...yea!! The torch is a tough bugger and wasn't really affected by the picking too much. All the fish have very good homes now...away from temptations. I lost a milli, birdsnest, two small acan colonies, setosa and a blueberry gargonian. Maybe my drama is over now. Sorry about your elegance. It's just fish being fish I reckon.
Connie, from your description of your PBT's behavior, it definitely sounds like he was bored and using your coral frags to entertain himself. Hope he found a good home in the fowler tank.

Our Desjardini damaged an Elegance coral stealing food from it. Although the damage was unintentional, once it was done, the smell of fresh "meat" was too much for our Regal Angel and Tomentosus filefish to resist. We removed the coral within minutes, but too much damage was done to save it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back