Powder Blue Tang, eye ingury or disease?

Kpony11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C3A8C63B-9956-4C01-A401-168636B9781B.jpeg
8B4DDE41-76DC-497D-94DB-F94794AD0E6B.jpeg
7FEA4CD3-4F8D-414F-A60A-5800F5E52264.jpeg
Hi there and thank you in advance for any input!

I got a powder blue tang 3 and a half weeks ago from my lfs, they informed me that a customer brought it in because he was tearing down his tank. He looked nice and healthy so i picked him up. Upon bringing him home and inspecting him in QT i noticed one eye was super damaged looking, cloudy, almost no iris, a little different shape even, i was sure i didnt see that at the store but maybe i only saw one side of him the whole time. I did a 5 min RO dip to check for flukes and saw nothing, then dosed seachems paragaurd in the 5 gallon QT and let him stew for an hour. There seemed to be no side effects and the eye was the same so i put him in the tank and hes been happy ever since. BUT his eye is still really bad looking, first off im hoping it is not a parasite that is slow to show symptoms and the paragaurd didnt have time to work on because i have many other fish in the 120 with him. And also im wondering if he could lose his eye and what i would have to do about it! But like i said ive had him for 3 and a half weeks and it may have gotten a little bit worse but the rest of him is healthy looking as are all the rest of the fish. Thank you

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like damage to the eye, rather than disease. You may end up with a cyclops. Keep an eye on it if it worsens, treat with the “trifecta” of antibiotics in a QT for 10-14 days: furan 2, kanaplex, and metroplex.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like damage to the eye, rather than disease. You may end up with a cyclops. Keep an eye on it if it worsens, treat with the “trifecta” of antibiotics in a QT for 10-14 days: furan 2, kanaplex, and metroplex.
Agree^^^
For what it's worth.

OP
OP
Kpony11

Kpony11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Awesome thank you for that! So those products would be good to keep around for wound care? Ill have to look up cyclops fish to prepare myself lol

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you for that! So those products would be good to keep around for wound care? Ill have to look up cyclops fish to prepare myself lol
Just soak foods in selcon, zoecon, or vita chem. Keep water clean. :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he still in QT? If so, dosing erythromycin for 10 days might be worth a shot just in case it's an eye infection.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%

Back