Powder Blue Tang

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son in law is giving me his pbt. He tried adding a powder brown and blue and of course, major fighting so the blue is in his frag tank. I can't take it for a bit as I have 3 wrasse and 2 clowns in QT until mid April. I also wasn't going to add tangs until I added some anthias. I might have to add my 3 tangs sooner than planned.

I'd have to time getting 2 tangs from LA and his within a day or 2, correct? Will it be an issue if the pbt is in qt a day or 2 earlier than adding 2 new tangs? All tangs will get copper treatments for 30 days (?) as I don't want anyone bringing in ick. And maybe 1 round of prazi

QT is a 37 gal tall with pvc t's zipped together to make like housing units and some fake plants.

Thinking I'll add a yellow and either a kole or tomini.

I have a 125 gal, 6 foot tank that will be their permanent home. I'm thinking 3 tangs total is about the most I can do? Plus, there are only 3 genus's I think and I know I can only do 1 in each.

Fish in now: gold head sleeper goby & yellow tail damsel
Fish in QT: 3 wrasse, 2 clowns
Fish for future: anthias, flame hawk (?), blenny of some sort, flame angel and/or coral beauty (?)

I have a 66 gal, 3 foot long tank but I think that is too small to put the pbt.

So will I be messing things up to add the tangs a bit earlier. Hate to turn down a free fish.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PBT is the most aggressive those other tangs, the yellow can hold its own. The kole or tomini are the least aggressive. Be prepared the may fight in a small space during QT. Good Luk

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a better way to do this? Get the other 2 first and put them in qt and then into display and then add the pbt or will that still cause issues.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be better, the QT would be over crowded, which would cause added stress and it may be to much for the tank to handle the bio load. So yes, if you could hold off on the PBT that would better for all.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll let my sil know it will take a bit longer for me to take the fish. I do have the 66 gal if he could do a copper treatment for me but he doesn't qt his fish and I know he has ick in his tank--his p brown tang. Not sure I want to try to get a tang out of that tank though that would give me time to get 2 less aggressive tangs into the new tank before adding him.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pbt doesn't have ick but I'd want it to go thru copper just in case. What I'm thinking is after a qt in copper--his place or mine, to put the tang in my 66 gal and then get my other 2 tangs in and through qt. If I do this, I can add all three to the display at the same time or add the other 2 and a week or 2 later add the pbt, giving the other 2 time to adjust without possible aggression. Or will the yellow go after the pbt? Maybe better to try to get them in at same time? I think a month or so in my 66 won't be too stressful

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size difference. I would try to add all three at same time, that way no one has the advantage.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 60 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back