Powder brown tang attacking powder blue tang

Brett Stricker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know I should’ve done more research before getting both powder tangs, anyway the powder brown tang is constantly attacking the powder blue tang like a psychopath and we are struggling to get either of them out. Any tips on getting them to stop or tricks to get the powder brown out?

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powders are some of the most aggressive tangs. If the tank is big enough for both of them (I’d say 180 gal), you can try the mirror trick and redoing the rockscape, but honestly I haven’t seen a powder blue and powder brown get along long term without being in larger numbers in really big tanks. Using a critter carrier as a fish trap would be an easy way to catch one. You open the smaller clear plastic part of the lid, use a pvc or other tube to feed the tank pellets directly inside of the carrier, and do so for a few days until everyone is comfortable. Once they are, wait until the wanted fish is in the carrier, and then use the pvc tube to close the clear plastic lid, and you caught the fish!

OP
OP
B

Brett Stricker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powders are some of the most aggressive tangs. If the tank is big enough for both of them (I’d say 180 gal), you can try the mirror trick and redoing the rockscape, but honestly I haven’t seen a powder blue and powder brown get along long term without being in larger numbers in really big tanks. Using a critter carrier as a fish trap would be an easy way to catch one. You open the smaller clear plastic part of the lid, use a pvc or other tube to feed the tank pellets directly inside of the carrier, and do so for a few days until everyone is comfortable. Once they are, wait until the wanted fish is in the carrier, and then use the pvc tube to close the clear plastic lid, and you caught the fish!
we just tried the mirror and the powder blue and brown are now confused and swimming around without bothering each other, so far it’s working thanks for the info! Also our current tank is a 250, if they learned to get along would that be suitable?

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we just tried the mirror and the powder blue and brown are now confused and swimming around without bothering each other, so far it’s working thanks for the info! Also our current tank is a 250, if they learned to get along would that be suitable?
I’d say so, one of my clients has a powder blue in a 200 gallon that is a complete bully to every other fish and is kinda neurotic. It all depends on the individual fish. Keep an eye on them for a couple months, some personal issues between fish don’t pop up until a few years into being in a tank together

OP
OP
B

Brett Stricker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say so, one of my clients has a powder blue in a 200 gallon that is a complete bully to every other fish and is kinda neurotic. It all depends on the individual fish. Keep an eye on them for a couple months, some personal issues between fish don’t pop up until a few years into being in a tank together
Thanks for the info!!! Much appreciated! ❤️

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
try the mirror, Sometimes it just takes 'time' for the fish to get a new territory. Have you tried re-arranging your rock work? My experience with this - is that eventually - it works out - depending on the size of the fish - this is not just a tang problem - it seems to be any time you add a fish to a tank with an established hierarchy. Hope it works out

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unfortunately one of them has to go. It's like this. Imagine if they locked you up with your high school bully and made you live together forever in a one bedroom apartment and you cant ever leave. I know I know..pretty extreme example but I think we have to have more compassion for these fish.

I have had a couple tangs in an 8 footer for close to a year and after a couple of months they stopped fighting but now fighting aggressively again so now I caught the bully and selling it so that the rest of my fish can all live in peace and harmony.

As for catching one, I know some fish are very smart and don't fall for traps. My fish are like that so I turned off the lights for a couple of hours and then turn them on in the middle of the night. And while they are dazed and confused, it's easy to gently move them out of their sleeping spots with a stick or a long feeder aka turkey baster and then you can easily scoop out the fish. Shortly thereafter turn off the lights of course so that the traumatic event isn't prolonged.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

OP
OP
B

Brett Stricker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately one of them has to go. It's like this. Imagine if they locked you up with your high school bully and made you live together forever in a one bedroom apartment and you cant ever leave. I know I know..pretty extreme example but I think we have to have more compassion for these fish.

I have had a couple tangs in an 8 footer for close to a year and after a couple of months they stopped fighting but now fighting aggressively again so now I caught the bully and selling it so that the rest of my fish can all live in peace and harmony.

As for catching one, I know some fish are very smart and don't fall for traps. My fish are like that so I turned off the lights for a couple of hours and then turn them on in the middle of the night. And while they are dazed and confused, it's easy to gently move them out of their sleeping spots with a stick or a long feeder aka turkey baster and then you can easily scoop out the fish. Shortly thereafter turn off the lights of course so that the traumatic event isn't prolonged.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Thank you for your insight! We managed to get the powder blue tang out and into a new holding tank.

Back