Powder brown tang help

Largeone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E2A67D6B-F081-4732-84F2-03EF750975E3.jpeg
0488354D-FB0E-4370-B533-1370B453437A.jpeg
Need a little help, as you can see my tang is loosing its tail and fins. Not sure how this happened but it happened within the last few days. Can not tell if its fin rot or another fish was being a little to aggressive, or something else. Never had that problem before. So should I pull him out and quaritine him and treat him or just leave him alone? Any suggestions ?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is not going well for him in the display, and in a big way. Since you don't know who the aggressor is, or even whether it's a fish or a bacterium, a QT is probably the better bet. If hes's lost those fins to aggression, he'll have a chance to grow them back, and you'll have a chance to identify the bully. If he's lost the fins to a bacterial infection such as fin-rot, you'll have the ability to properly dose antibiotics in QT. (And if he's lost the fins to aggression, it wouldn't be that unusual for a secondary infection to set in.)

The only downside I can see to moving this guy to a QT is reintroducing him to the display after the fins come back.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Largeone

Largeone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is not going well for him in the display, and in a big way. Since you don't know who the aggressor is, or even whether it's a fish or a bacterium, a QT is probably the better bet. If hes's lost those fins to aggression, he'll have a chance to grow them back, and you'll have a chance to identify the bully. If he's lost the fins to a bacterial infection such as fin-rot, you'll have the ability to properly dose antibiotics in QT. (And if he's lost the fins to aggression, it wouldn't be that unusual for a secondary infection to set in.)

The only downside I can see to moving this guy to a QT is reintroducing him to the display after the fins come back.

~Bruce
Thanks Bruce. I’ve set up a QT and I think I’m going to move him. Feeling a little bad for him. Still eating well and holding his own. Really unusal for my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back