Power cycle RODI after 6 hours

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my RODI unit hooked up to outlet "FW_RODI".

It has an internal controller that thinks there is a water leak if it runs continuously for 6 hours.

I have a few additional conditions for when I want it to turn on - however, right now I just turn it on when the RODI storage bin valve detects it is low and opens.

Here is what I have:

Code:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Output FW_VALVE = ON Then ON

How do I power cycle the "FW_RODI" outlet if it has been on for 6 hours? If possible, I would like to keep it off for some time - say 5 minutes.

Thanks!

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the coding for "FW_RODI"?
Here is what I have:

Code:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Output FW_VALVE = ON Then ON

I have been reading the manual to work through how to achieve what I want but it doesn't seem to have a full reference as I didn't see mention of "WHEN" in the "comprehensive" manual - although perhaps I just missed it.

I am guessing I will have to make use of WHEN, MIN TIME, DEFER and a virtual outlet but I haven't put it all together yet.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats for the FW-Valve though?

Are you referencing the FW-Valve for the FW-RODI?

Maybe I'm just not understanding you correctly. Pretty sure I could code it for you, been coding apex for roughly 10 years or so now.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats for the FW-Valve though?

Are you referencing the FW-Valve for the FW-RODI?

Maybe I'm just not understanding you correctly. Pretty sure I could code it for you, been coding apex for roughly 10 years or so now.

Awesome. I am trying to learn - I've only use it for basic readings.

That is the code for my RODI outlet. It turns on when the FW_VALVE outlet is on. The FW_VALVE outlet is based on some float switches.

Does it take longer then 6 hours to fill your bin? Is that the issue? So your RO/DI machine shuts off after 6 hours?

Yes - my RODI unit has it's own control unit. It thinks there is a leak after so much time and stops producing water. So I need to power cycle it before this happens.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just so I get this right......

The code you posted is for the FW_RODI which turns on when the FW_Valve virtual outlet turns on?

Your RO/DI machine shuts itself down after 6 hours, so you need to power cycle the RO/DI machine like say after 5 hours, so it continues to fill the barrel?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another virtual outlet you'll use as a timer and just 1 more line of code.

I do something similar with my PH. I have it shut off while in feedA, then go into a nutrient mode(100%) for 10 minutes, then resume normal schedule.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just so I get this right......

The code you posted is for the FW_RODI which turns on when the FW_Valve virtual outlet turns on?

Your RO/DI machine shuts itself down after 6 hours, so you need to power cycle the RO/DI machine like say after 5 hours, so it continues to fill the barrel?

Exactly - my goal is to turn the RODI unit off after it has been running for a certain number of hours (say 4 hours, 45 minutes unless a rounded hour is easiest) and to stay turned off for 3 minutes (or some sort of duration to give it time to power off) and then resume normal operation

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok......

Fallback off
Set off
If FW_Valve = on then on
IF FW_TIMER = on then off

Then create a virtual outlet call it FW_TIMER:

Fallback off
Set off
if FW_VALVE = on then on
min time 285:00(4 hours 45 minutes) then off
Defer 3:00 then on

Sorry my dogs got barking at a bear, fed the fish, made supplements. LOL so i got distracted.

Think that should work.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick note. A lot of people don't like to do small batches like this due to tds creep. Maybe your setup takes care of that, I don't know. Just an FYI.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok......

Fallback off
Set off
If FW_Valve = on then on
IF FW_TIMER = on then off

Then create a virtual outlet call it FW_TIMER:

Fallback off
Set off
if FW_VALVE = on then on
min time 285:00(4 hours 45 minutes) then off
Defer 3:00 then on

Sorry my dogs got barking at a bear, fed the fish, made supplements. LOL so i got distracted.

Think that should work.

This is awesome. Thanks so much. I read the docs on how those work but wasn't able to work out what it would look like.

Would you mind a line by line step through?

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick note. A lot of people don't like to do small batches like this due to tds creep. Maybe your setup takes care of that, I don't know. Just an FYI.

I'm not sure. It came from the manufacturer like this. It flushes when it turns on and also periodically.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure
its easy if you remember the apex evaluates line by line. So the last statement that is true, will effect the outlet.

obviously you know the first 2 lines. Fallback off, set off.

So the outlet is off by the set command
if FW_VALVE = on then on - if whatever turns FW_VAlve to on, turn this outlet on

min time 285:00 then off - now keep the outlet on(next line up turned it on) for 285:00 minutes. after 285 minutes the outlet will turn off, but turn right back on without the next line. Nothing will effect it from turning off for 285 minutes. So even if FW_VALVE turns off, this outlet stays on.

Defer 3:00 then on - now keep the outlet off for 3 minutes(line above turned it off after 285 minutes), then turn back on.

Just read from top to bottom. Same as the apex evaluates code.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure
its easy if you remember the apex evaluates line by line. So the last statement that is true, will effect the outlet.

obviously you know the first 2 lines. Fallback off, set off.

So the outlet is off by the set command
if FW_VALVE = on then on - if whatever turns FW_VAlve to on, turn this outlet on

min time 285:00 then off - now keep the outlet on(next line up turned it on) for 285:00 minutes. after 285 minutes the outlet will turn off, but turn right back on without the next line. Nothing will effect it from turning off for 285 minutes. So even if FW_VALVE turns off, this outlet stays on.

Defer 3:00 then on - now keep the outlet off for 3 minutes(line above turned it off after 285 minutes), then turn back on.

Just read from top to bottom. Same as the apex evaluates code.

Great! Thanks so much. I wasn't sure on how the MIN TIME and DEFER logic was applied.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually evaluating that in my head. I think with the defer, it will stay on for 288:minutes. It will add the extra 3 minutes before it changes state. Not that it will effect anything.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. It came from the manufacturer like this. It flushes when it turns on and also periodically.
Flushing doesn't work for tds creep. Flushing normally means running the unit wide open thru the "bad" output line so the water flows over the membrane to "flush" it. This is useless and not needed but is a great marketing gimmick. To get rid of tds creep you have to by-pass the DI unit for the first minute or two when you start to make water. This way the tds creep goes down the drain instead of the DI unit. No harm in not doing it, it will just exhaust your DI quicker.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flushing doesn't work for tds creep. Flushing normally means running the unit wide open thru the "bad" output line so the water flows over the membrane to "flush" it. This is useless and not needed but is a great marketing gimmick. To get rid of tds creep you have to by-pass the DI unit for the first minute or two when you start to make water. This way the tds creep goes down the drain instead of the DI unit. No harm in not doing it, it will just exhaust your DI quicker.
Exactly why I have a DI bypass on my unit. His is probably programmed that way. They come with all kinds of electronics now. pretty much hands off.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back