Power Generation and Storage

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great article and very interesting timing!
I set up an appointment with an electrician 2 weeks ago to get a appraisal on a LP powered automatic standby generator provided and installed. He just left and I log on and see this article. What he has proposed is a Generac Guardian Series generator. Capture.JPG
He's a certified Generac rep so I can get a free 7 year parts and labor warranty by buying thru him. The unit has a maximum delay from power out to power restored of 30 seconds, most likely less than 30 seconds. He calculated the entire house load and this unit will keep my home fully functioning in the event of an outage. I already have a 500 gallon LP tank that's filled monthly so I'd be covered for an extended outage no worries. I'm a plumber by trade so I'll make the gas connection.
I figure the value of the livestock I have in my 240 reef, 30 cube and 40 breeder frag tank far exceed what the entire package will cost. Kind of a no brainer for me.
Got my generac 16k hooked up 5 days before irma hit. It was definitely a purchase I have never regretted! Didn't get power back until November. Apart from the occasional oil and filter change, it has run flawlessly. We have power outages several times a month, sometimes for a few hours at a time, and it's a great feeling when 10 seconds later I hear the generator start up and 10 seconds after the whole house powers up!

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most important thing is to HAVE A PLAN. Mine, for years, was a 6500 watt portable. Manage the gasoline storage and exercise it regularly and it is a good option.

no one perfect solution. That's what makes your earlier statement so solid ca1ore and the whole scope of this thread siggy, redundancy is imperative/have a plan.
What is Your Back Up Plan Reefers?

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I went with a whole house Diesel Generator, with enough fuel to last 2 weeks at a time. I went with a manual transfer switch this time, as I don't like my generator coming on in a Hurricane, like the last one.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I went with a whole house Diesel Generator, with enough fuel to last 2 weeks at a time. I went with a manual transfer switch this time, as I don't like my generator coming on in a Hurricane, like the last one.
Im curious why you dont like to run during a Hurricane?

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a major storm was coming (e.g. hurricane) it would probably be a good idea to place the generator in manual so you could assess the situation and make sure everything is safe prior to it powering back up you house.

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for putting this together! Very comprehensive! I bought a generator back when I first got into the hobby about 6 years ago. Living in Colorado where we get some strong winds and a fair amount of snow, I thought I would need it. We haven't lost power a single time in that period, and I've never even put gas in it. At least I have it if we do.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious why you dont like to run during a Hurricane?
In case their is damage to the house, like in Donna and Andrew, we have not experienced a major strike to the Southeast Coast of Miami Florida since Andrew, and I would not like live electrical wires, if my house is somehow damaged. Then there is the issue of all the debris and rain in the air, that could be sucked up in the air filters.

Shanet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll guess thats your house
upload_2019-3-10_9-8-50.jpeg

Pretty much! In my state in Australia we have sold off all our Coal fired Power Stations ( we hate coal but supply the rest of the world with it, go figure) and rely on Wind Turbines for power, when we cant rely on them (no wind) we buy power from other states. We had a storm that blew down the Interconnecter towers (due to lack of maintenance since being sold by the State to Private Enterprise) and our State was without power for up to 3 days in Rural areas (which I live in).
I am a Coal Miner that works in a different State to where I live so if we loose power I cant slip home and start the genny, hence the setup.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in FL right on the beach, so Hurricane Irama really did some major damage to the Tampa bay area when it came through here like a freight train! We lost power for 7 days, but a course, I had my #Briggs &#Straton 7000watt portable Generator which is connected to my main break for my house, so I can run a few things off of it! My friend and I were able to run my 120 mixed reef tank, my AC, plus the refrigerator but would only run that during the day.. I was set there was no doubt about it! Not one fish died on me or lost any coral what so ever which was a miracle due to how bad the conditions were outside during the hurricane #Irama. I heard one horror story in Maimi about one fish store lost their entire stock on the tarmac @ Miami Intl Airport trying to get out of dodge. Lost over 10k just in fish and coral. so you must have a backup plan especially if you live in an area where your power goes out a lot like where I LIVE on the beach. Anyways, this is what got me through Hurricane Irma but after thinking about it, not for a while, I was thinking maybe solar panels or a home Generator System

b4d395e1-296d-49dd-b41b-7860d62fb631

The home Briggs & Stratton 20KW Standby Generator System (Steel) (100A Service Disconnect + AC Shedding) can power up your entire home without going out in the rain and filling up your generator every 12 hrs or so.
They start at around 5K ones installed which is not cheap, but if you consider what all is in your tank, how big is it etc etc., I have an SCA Rimless 150 so I think I am going to make the upgrade to the Briggs & Stratton 20KW Standby Generator System.
Its Fully Automatic Operation - Includes Automatic Transfer Switch / Runs off LP or Natural Gas - no gas cans to fill and store / Computer controlled load management power switching / Expand your generators range by prioritizing powered circuits /
Automotive rust proofing paint process reduces corrosion / Pushes engine exhaust out the front, away from the home and much much more.

Briggs&Straton.jpg

40394_9413_feature4.jpg

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost power for 7 days, but a course, I had my #Briggs &#Straton 7000watt portable Generator which is connected to my main break for my house, so I can run a few things off of it! My friend and I were able to run my 120 mixed reef tank, my AC, plus the refrigerator but would only run that during the day.. I was set there was no doubt about it! Not one fish died
Thats a happy ending to a terrible event. You had a Plan or Routine in place and a Good Working machine that ran for 7 days. That generator paid for itself and you were comfortable.

Edit; Scored 4 tickets to Wings / Tamps for Thursdays game;)

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a solution I like for a portable generator. It is 3 position disconnect/safety switch, it allows you to plug in a generator safely and energize your entire home, not just a small number of circuits.
NOW you CAN NOT run everything at once but you can select what you need when you need it.
Step 1. plug Generator into home and start( Portables can have Elect. Start;))
step 2. Throw the Switch to generator and that's it!*** be sure to turn off non essential loads***
These typs of switches start @ $350 plus the install....I first seen this on a farm and the farmer had a Gen. unit that hooked up to his 3-point hitch/PTO on his tractor....OLD School!
NOT just a Generator! Inverter/battery could go here also
3-point of sale switch.png

Last edited:

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a solution I like for a portable generator. It is 3 position disconnect/safety switch, it allows you to plug in a generator safely and energize your entire home, not just a small number of circuits.
NOW you CAN NOT run everything at once but you can select what you need when you need it.
Step 1. plug Generator into home and start( Portables can have Elect. Start;))
step 2. Throw the Switch to generator and that's it!*** be sure to turn off non essential loads***
These typs of switches start @ $350 plus the install....I first seen this on a farm and the farmer had a Gen. unit that hooked up to his 3-point hitch/PTO on his tractor....OLD School!
NOT just a Generator! Inverter/battery could go here also
3-point of sale switch.png
Hi, that is almost the same transfer box we use, and it will run my whole house on our generator, very simple to use and easy to install, but use a licensed electrician to install it.

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father-in-law has had this type of connection on his home for a good number of years, put it in after Fran came thru NC. I know of 5-6 occasions he's had to use it and all went fine. He's not an aquarist mind you, but no one wants to be without power over an extended period of time.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father-in-law has had this type of connection on his home for a good number of years, put it in after Fran came thru NC. I know of 5-6 occasions he's had to use it and all went fine. He's not an aquarist mind you, but no one wants to be without power over an extended period of time.
Having a generator for my tank was a bonus. Four women in the house with no shower or me without hot food and cold beer is not a happy place;) Not to mention a deep freezer full of Venison and Fresh Fish.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
solar.jpg
Typical Inverter with Solar Charging. Here they call the inverter a UPS, it can be an Uninterruptible Power Supply If the Inverter has that Option
of Auto Transfer Switching.

Last edited:
OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to share this earlier. One Of the leading Manufacturer's Of Pure Sine Wave Inverters is Xantrex http://www.xantrex.com/ RV'S, Boats, Yachts and Semi-Trucks have been relying on this brand for years.
Not cheap but considered the Best in the Biz. I first became aware of them when I was working in the Boating industry in the 80's and they were the only brand to produce a true sine-wave that is critical for refrigeration (ice) and marine electronics. Now we have several brands.
Boat%20Illustration.jpg

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I have to share this! this is an All in one unit For under $500! https://www.hodgesmarine.com/STATPO...sWZEedx2s1KFDml45AnUS_xoCrLMQAvD_BwE&click=19
XAN802-1500-2T.jpg

120 Vac / 60 Hz

The XPower Powerpack 1500 system consists of a battery pack that stores electricity, advanced electronics that convert 12 volts of DC power from the battery pack to household power, an AC power panel that contains two standard outlets, and a DC power panel that is used to operate 12 volt products.

"I think Xantrex did an amazing job of making this device so incredibly simple to use. It’s so simple, just plug in your device, turn on the Powerpack 1500, and you have power.", says Patty Hahne, author of books on emergency preparedness & a passionate prepper who offers a unique perspective on off-grid living. Click here to read her in-depth product review.
  • Operates 120 Vac or 12 Vdc products anywhere
  • Sealed, non-spillable 51 amp-hour AGM battery
  • High surge protection and automatic over-temperature and overload shutdown
  • Low voltage alarm and shutdown prevents deep battery discharge
  • Battery level indicator confirms charge level
  • High power 12 Vdc connector
  • Two three-prong AC outlets
  • Padded grip towing handle is removable for easy storage, and built-in side handles allow for easy lifting
Emergency power: operates essential appliances such as a fridge, cordless and cell phone, radio, fan, lamp, home security system, microwave, sump pump and more.

Work productivity: operates power tools such as a drill, belt sander, circular saw and more; powers communication devices such as a laptop, desktop and monitor, printer, fax machine and more.

Indoor and outdoor recreation: operates a TV, blender, video game console, portable cooler, coffee maker and more.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@siggy , thanks for writing this article. I just posted a thread a few weeks ago asking about generators. Your article answered most of my questions. This helped me out. Thanks much! ;Happy

Last edited:
OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take A look, this could be a DIY reef backup system

What does the federal solar tax credit extension mean for the solar industry?

The federal ITC was originally established by the Energy Policy Act of 2005 and was set to expire at the end of 2007. A series of extensions pushed the expiration date back to the end of 2016, but experts believed that an additional five-year extension would bring the solar industry to its full maturity. Thanks to the spending bill that Congress passed in late December 2015, the tax credit is now available to homeowners in some form through 2021. Here are the specifics:

• 2016 – 2019: The tax credit remains at 30 percent of the cost of the system. This means that in 2017, you can still get a major discounted price for your solar panel system.
  • 2020: Owners of new residential and commercial solar can deduct 26 percent of the cost of the system from their taxes.
  • 2021: Owners of new residential and commercial solar can deduct 22 percent of the cost of the system from their taxes.
  • 2022 onwards: Owners of new commercial solar energy systems can deduct 10 percent of the cost of the system from their taxes. There is no federal credit for residential solar energy systems.
Additionally, in previous years, owners of new solar energy systems could not claim the tax credit unless their system was operational. Now, the legislation allows them to claim it as soon as the construction of the system is complete, as long as it is operational by December 31, 2023.

Do I qualify for the solar panel tax credit?
As long as you own your solar energy system, you are eligible for the solar tax credit. Even if you don’t have enough tax liability to claim the entire credit in one year, you can “roll over” the remaining credits into future years for as long as the tax credit is in effect. However, remember that if you sign a lease or PPA with a solar installer, you are not the owner of the system, and thus you cannot receive the tax credit.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back