Power head choice for 120g corner flow. Mixed tank

kensomebody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard 120g 48x 24 x24 but with a corner overflow. Planning Mixed tank maybe 70/30 lps/sps most sps Montipora not so much Acro.
I’m trying to choose between powerheads and having a hard time. Battery backup is a big deal for me Living in Florida with hurricanes.
I’m leaning towards vortech I like their flow patterns and they program well with the apex. But using ecotech’s flow calculator it seems 2 x mp40’s would be overkill. 1 x mp40 would be the right amount of flow but how do you get enough variation in flow with that?
- adding an mp10 on the other side (same side the corner flo is on) seems like a good option keeps the total flow in an ok range on the calculator.
-or just go with two gyres and alternate between sides?
-opinions?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 mp40s would be a lot of flow however I feel the more the better with flow. You can always run it on low settings. Plus if you upgrade you have big enough pumps for thar too.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with 2 40's and just turn them down. You may find your glass is too thick for 10's.
+1 you will need the 40’s. If you get the 10’s chances are you will be running them at full speed. That will strain the pumps causing them to generate more heat and noise (even though they are VERY quiet, when wide open, mine gives out a little hum). The mp40’s would give you more options imo. You could run them and get a ton of flow or turn it down to the lowest setting to get a tiny bit of flow. 10’s will be too little. Get the 40’s :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back