Tank flow - science or sorcery?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have a love hate relationship with tank flow. Sometimes my corals seem to love it and at other times they hate it. Quick background.

I have a 120G mixed reef with one Vortech MP40 on a sidewall and another MP40 on the back wall. During the day I run reef mode with the back wall acting as a slave to the side wall. If I go to the EcoTech website and use their calculator it suggests a flow between 2400 - 4000 gph depending upon the type of coral. (LPS low / SPS high). In looking at my flow rates using Mobius for the two MP40s the side runs around 2500 gph and the rear 2100gph. I realize that part of the success with coral is the right location relative to flow and lighting.

Does the flow seem about right for each of the MP40s?

Thanks in advance

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see if we can get some answers.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have a love hate relationship with tank flow. Sometimes my corals seem to love it and at other times they hate it. Quick background.

I have a 120G mixed reef with one Vortech MP40 on a sidewall and another MP40 on the back wall. During the day I run reef mode with the back wall acting as a slave to the side wall. If I go to the EcoTech website and use their calculator it suggests a flow between 2400 - 4000 gph depending upon the type of coral. (LPS low / SPS high). In looking at my flow rates using Mobius for the two MP40s the side runs around 2500 gph and the rear 2100gph. I realize that part of the success with coral is the right location relative to flow and lighting.

Does the flow seem about right for each of the MP40s?

Thanks in advance
You should have them mounted on opposite sides maybe 4 inches below the surface in antisync mode. Most people choose reefcrest.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back