Power head placement trouble

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently have two jebao ow-10s 1057gph each running around 60 percent power on both. Placed on both ends of my 40 breeder one shooting up at the surface of the water and the other straight across.

Honestly seems like either one, I need to increase my power of pumps or two, I need to relocate or maybe reangle my power heads. I feel like some of my corals are not being reached getting enough flow

Any thoughts on my current setup and if I should consider changing position or increasing the power of the flow

Last edited:

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you post a video :)
edit you might get by from keeping one straight but high in the water column and another blowing mid and angled to your rock work. or b use the glass to deflect the water as a diffuser to spread the water current around the tank at 100%.
move them around and you'll find the correct spots for it im sure :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit you might get by from keeping one straight but high in the water column and another blowing mid and angled to your rock work. or b use the glass to deflect the water as a diffuser to spread the water current around the tank at 100%.
I will try and get a video once I’m home. But thank you for the advice. I’ve only been pointing one up because I’ve been told it helps agitate the water but it doesn’t seem to help push the water towards coral towards the bottom of my rock

OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://streamable.com/3b3rl

Video isn’t great... but it will give you an idea of my positioning of my powerheads. At times it seems it’s too light of a current to get my hammer swaying.

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love the aquascape! i hope someone will chime in on this. but my gut is telling me you need more flow. what types of corals are you wanting to keep?

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a good start, i ended up putting 2 eflux 660gph wavemakers in my evo 13.5 gallon. one wasnt enough and im very happy i did. im in a transition to primary sps but i have been adding a few lps and i just acouple days ago on the way home from lfs a new lps got toasted up pretty bad....

you have good watermovement uptop just watch for dead spots between your rock work

also, a thing to concider is if its on streem or wave. if its on a very fast pulsing wave then the power head will never reach that high of gph. so if its on wave and you want more flow you can either langthen the waves or turn it to stream

with too much flow your lps like acans wont open happily
i would rate your flow right now as low from the looks of your euphyllia

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a good start, i ended up putting 2 eflux 660gph wavemakers in my evo 13.5 gallon. one wasnt enough and im very happy i did. im in a transition to primary sps but i have been adding a few lps and i just acouple days ago on the way home from lfs a new lps got toasted up pretty bad....

you have good watermovement uptop just watch for dead spots between your rock work

also, a thing to concider is if its on streem or wave. if its on a very fast pulsing wave then the power head will never reach that high of gph. so if its on wave and you want more flow you can either langthen the waves or turn it to stream
thank you! I am looking to progress into a mixed reef; lps, softies, sps. Yes, I'm thinking I need more flow. Do you think I should just turn up the flow or change the location of the heads? Currently on else mode for both powerheads

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i
thank you! I am looking to progress into a mixed reef; lps, softies, sps. Yes, I'm thinking I need more flow. Do you think I should just turn up the flow or change the location of the heads? Currently on else mode for both powerheads

you can always try 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/Uniclife-Con...5&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=jebao+wavemaker&psc=1
maybe over kill, im not sure

but 2 answer your question id say turn up the flow, just dont rip the flesh off

i catually tried several different powerhead wavemakers before sticking with the eflux.
though that was mostly because of personal looks

i've seen some really happy reefs with 40x per gallon mine is slightly more then 100x and softies are fine

so to sum it all up your current circulation, with your 2 power heads at 100% you have 53x hours per gallon of display volume (of circulation) you are fine to turn them up

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i

you can always try 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/Uniclife-Con...5&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=jebao+wavemaker&psc=1
maybe over kill, im not sure

but 2 answer your question id say turn up the flow, just dont rip the flesh off

i catually tried several different powerhead wavemakers before sticking with the eflux.
though that was mostly because of personal looks

i've seen some really happy reefs with 40x per gallon mine is slightly more then 100x and softies are fine

so to sum it all up your current circulation, with your 2 power heads at 100% you have 53x hours per gallon of display volume you are fine to turn them up
yeah I was doing alot of research when I bought two of these. I was told it would be plenty of flow. I guess it's just the experimenting with the flow and direction of flow. I appreciate the input! :)

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to each his own. you are fine. turn up the flow. see how things go, if you have dead spots move your powerheads around and have fun doing it!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back