Power head placement!

MarkAshlee2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a 4 foot long 300 litre aquarium, I have one power head on the left hand side of my tank in the upper portion towards the top aimed at the front glass, and two on the right side aimed to left hand side, it seems to be swirling to the middle so not sure if everything is getting to my skimmer on the left, should I take the one on left out to create a better flow towards the skimmer? Sorry I can't get any pics as my camera is broken. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best flow is one that creates the most random movement. In many cases, placing powerheads on opposite sides of the aquarium, facing each other, can do this. Sounds like you have three powerheads, so a possibility for some good, random flow might be to put on on the left end, one on the right and one on the back wall facing the front glass.

What kind of powerheads are they? Can they be programmed?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MarkAshlee2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best flow is one that creates the most random movement. In many cases, placing powerheads on opposite sides of the aquarium, facing each other, can do this. Sounds like you have three powerheads, so a possibility for some good, random flow might be to put on on the left end, one on the right and one on the back wall facing the front glass.

What kind of powerheads are they? Can they be programmed?
No they aren't expensive tbh, I have two the same power and one that isn't powerful at all. The way u have just said would this get all the water at some point to the skimmer?

Upvote 0

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they aren't expensive tbh, I have two the same power and one that isn't powerful at all. The way u have just said would this get all the water at some point to the skimmer?
As long as you have good random flow everywhere, the dissolved organics in your water will make it to your skimmer. It's not like there's a "cloud" of unskimmed water sitting somewhere.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MarkAshlee2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have good random flow everywhere, the dissolved organics in your water will make it to your skimmer. It's not like there's a "cloud" of unskimmed water sitting somewhere.
OK ill try this in a minute, don't suppose you know why for some reason when I had calcium my corraline algea goes from purple to white then a few weeks later it goes bk to purple? Thanks m8

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back