Power heads or returns for surface agitation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JayM
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Power head or return for surface agitation?

  • Power Head

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Return

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Doesn't matter

    Votes: 5 45.5%

  • Total voters
    11

JayM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 8, 2023
Messages
2,171
Reaction score
3,162
Location
Inland Empire
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a preference?

Does it really matter?

I'm currently upgrading from 70ish gallons to 100 gallons and my thought is to use the returns. Mostly because I can position them in such a way that I won't need to worry about any significant amount of water draining back to the sump during a power outage and/or maintenance. It will also allow me to move the powerheads to different locations and get flow where I need it and not worry about potentially losing surface movement.
 
You got sand or bare bottom?
If bare bottom I point my returns to blast the bottom 24/7
I use Red Sea Gyres for surface agitation
But you could make a argument either way
 
I'll be using powerheads.
 
Doctorgori makes a good point. I use the returns mostly because they are pretty limited anyways. But with gyres doing the heavy lifting...
 
Is there a preference?

Does it really matter?

I'm currently upgrading from 70ish gallons to 100 gallons and my thought is to use the returns. Mostly because I can position them in such a way that I won't need to worry about any significant amount of water draining back to the sump during a power outage and/or maintenance.
This last part shouldn't be a concern. Do you have anti-syphone holes drilled? You should.
It will also allow me to move the powerheads to different locations and get flow where I need it and not worry about potentially losing surface movement.
I use gyres across the surface and returns are near the top. Also, one power head pointed up.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new