Power heads

billpater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't decide between the AI Nero 5 or the EcoTech MP40. Big difference in price, like the fact that the MP40 can have a battery back up, is it worth it. What do you think?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience for the AI Nero 5 but I did Once by Reef breeders head that was very similar. I did not like the mp40s because you cannot direct them at all. They may be good for specific jobs but I just don't like them as it is. The Reef breeders had I had to return because it wasn't working properly.
For me IMO, I like to be able to direct flow. If my flow is not working exactly how I want it in my tank I can just move a head slightly. Something to think about.
As far as power outage management, you can get any backup battery and plug a head into it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can't decide between the AI Nero 5 or the EcoTech MP40. Big difference in price, like the fact that the MP40 can have a battery back up, is it worth it. What do you think?
Nero 5 with variable speeds is the preferred for me and it is in essence the same manufacturer

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have the nero and the ecotech. I believe that if you have a cube tank the nero is great, if you have a long tank, then you will want the mp40 for that extra power.

ecotech does give you better options, and is much different than what nero offers. I think its a matter of what your setup is. they both will suck up fish and anemones so keep that in mind. the ecotech has a sponge filter that will protect the fish, but needs a cleaning every 2 days.. lots of people are now printing really nice guards for both models.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back