Power out for 40 hrs. Tank temp down to 50.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How naive of you, and rich coming from someone living in CA. Possibly the most bureaucratic state in the union, the incompetent leadership over there is the laughing stock of this country. To say “its 2021 people shouldnt have to worry” governments are so far removed from working for their constituants its not even funny, and when something bad happens all they do is play the blame game and resign at worst, theres no real accountability. Keep putting your hopes and confidence in your elected officials over there, let me know how that works out for you LOL
I think you missed their point. They were criticizing California too....

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least in CA you can go around and collect "cow" patties to burn for fuel.

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was hoping for more tips on here for the startup. unfortunately water pressure is lacking too so a big water change isn't really that possible yet unless i did just tap. saw on another thread about deep cleaning the sand as well before fully restarting. so i have a huge tank so best way to get sand out is through gravel vac into a bucket? clean 5 gal then put back in or wait til i clean all them put back in?

Anak’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was hoping for more tips on here for the startup. unfortunately water pressure is lacking too so a big water change isn't really that possible yet unless i did just tap. saw on another thread about deep cleaning the sand as well before fully restarting. so i have a huge tank so best way to get sand out is through gravel vac into a bucket? clean 5 gal then put back in or wait til i clean all them put back in?
I’m not sure about that. I’m a newbie reefer but if you are restarting a tank, and need some things like carbon or stuff, go on IG or literally just ask around here. I’ll be happy to find some people to help you out and give you stuff. Companies like aquachar carbon are giving away carbon to reefers in need, however much you need to restart or fix it up. All they ask is that you show them your situation. Prayers for you and your tank and fam.

ApolloReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be rude here or come off snarky this is an honest question. How do so many people not have a backup plan? Theres plenty of amazing technology available that is also more affordable than ever...cheap generators, amazing battery backups, and the most reliable news forecasting in world history as of 2021. Just to make a point i want to say i dont even feel bad for you. Obviously im just trying to make a point and i feel terrible for you. Best wishes
What a completely classless and tasteless post. They original poster went through a traumatic event and endured the lost of all his pets due to a natural disaster. Shame on all the people who liked this, as well, as you are in the same boat. If you wish to make a statement regarding preparation for once in a lifetime disaster, feel free to start a new thread like any kind of empathic person would do and make your points there rather than wax poetic on the grave of someone else's loss. Stuff like this destroys the community on these boards and should be called out and condemned.

@Baldguy I live in Houston so I know what the past week was like, and I am sorry for your loss. I hope you get back on your feet and come back stronger and better than ever.

danzig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What a completely classless and tasteless post. They original poster went through a traumatic event and endured the lost of all his pets due to a natural disaster. Shame on all the people who liked this, as well, as you are in the same boat. If you wish to make a statement regarding preparation for once in a lifetime disaster, feel free to start a new thread like any kind of empathic person would do and make your points there rather than wax poetic on the grave of someone else's loss. Stuff like this destroys the community on these boards and should be called out and condemned.

@Baldguy I live in Houston so I know what the past week was like, and I am sorry for your loss. I hope you get back on your feet and come back stronger and better than ever.
How does my post destroy the community? Nothing i said was inflammatory, maybe a bit insensitive at most and better left for a separate thread. The own OP admitted some responsibility. I wasnt tearing apart his life and calling him out so take a chill pill, i simply asked the question how are so many people unprepared. As a general question. Also many people arnt prepared for any disaster let alone a “once in a lifetime disaster” as you say. And if you believe in climate change that once in a lifetime is kind if out the window soon to come. I need to just stop replying to these ritually offended people.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Baldguy If you can then warm some hot water put them in bottles and drop in the tank. Put a airstone on battery powered airpump and put in the tank.
++++1

Filling up empty 2liters or milk jugs with boiled water over a fireplace or outside firepit and floating the filled heated bottles is the most rock bottom thing you can do.

Last ditch effort....

But in your case, the horses have left the barn and were all playing Monday Morning Quarterback

Clareot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Texas: We have been on and off with electricity for four day mostly off and I did have backup battery but it wasn’t working. I was up most of the night heating saltwater from tank with gas stove an pouring into tank to create bubbles. We have power now and all my fish in both tanks are alive as well as corals. We lost one Tiger Shrimp. We covered tank with plastic and blankets to keep heat in. Our backup plans don’t always pan out. My heart goes out to those who lost their tank gems.

kjkaminski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@danzig that is correct. But there are some of us who can not run a portable generator due to community bylaws or live in a condo.
They would likely give you a pass in a situation such as this. Obviously if you have no outdoor space for the generator it would be useless.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back