Semi Tank Crash After Storm - What are my next steps?

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Very sad to be posting this, but unfortunately northern Oregon got hit with a terrible blizzard and I was left without power for 36 hours with nearly subzero temps. I did everything I possibly could to keep the tank alive, which in this case meant draining half the tanks water volume, running my car the entire time with two inverters to heat two 100w heaters, a small pump and a battery powered air stone. Despite the two heaters, my house's ambient temp dropped down to 32 degrees and the tank dropped into the 50s. Even with the two heaters, I was only able to maintain a temp of around 62. I finally got power back last night and it seems my efforts mostly paid off. It seems almost all of my 10 fish are alive, with my Yasha Goby still being MIA, and my poor fathead Anthias alive but doing very poorly. My Clowns, Yellow Tang, Grammas, and Damsel are all doing good and acting pretty much normal again and my baby Mandarins are slowly recovering. Most of my inverts seem alive too, minus a few snails.

Now for the new problems. Unfortunately, I lost all my bubble corals so there was a lot of rotting flesh in there overnight. I woke up today to the Anemones looking great and some my hammers looking pretty good too, but the water was cloudy. As the morning went on, the water got even cloudier, and the both the hammers and the anemones have started to look a bit worse. Not concerned about the anemones, I'm sure they'll be fine, but the hammers look pretty rough now.

All clearly dead corals have been removed from the tank, and I've dumped in a full bottle of 32oz Fritz Nitrifying bacteria and 250ml Microbacter 7 into the tank. I'm sure there is an ammonia issue without even needing to test as there's been a TON of die off on my rocks, which were very much aged and alive prior to this.

I've done a 30g water change on my 60g tank, and even after a few hours now - the water remains fairly cloudy. As mentioned, most of the fish are acting perfectly normal though I haven't fed them yet as I'm worried about the clean-up crew not really functioning well currently and causing more ammonia issues. Pretty much all of the corals left look deeply unhappy but hopefully not on the verge of death anymore.

I've set my light to 30% 30 day acclimation as I imagine the corals will need some time to rebound. Ultimately, my question is what do next and what to prioritize? Right now, the tank is running pretty much as it usually would with two powerheads, return pumps going, only difference is I'm not running my skimmer as I want the Fritz Bacteria to colonize. I have another bottle I can dump in and can get more nitrifying bacteria if need be. Would running the skimmer be more beneficial at this point?
I'm not keen on tearing apart my tank and disturbing my animals to clean the rocks, but I could brush them underwater and do more water changes if need be. I also have Phyto on hand and can get pods fairly quickly.

So, what to do next?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

Very sad to be posting this, but unfortunately northern Oregon got hit with a terrible blizzard and I was left without power for 36 hours with nearly subzero temps. I did everything I possibly could to keep the tank alive, which in this case meant draining half the tanks water volume, running my car the entire time with two inverters to heat two 100w heaters, a small pump and a battery powered air stone. Despite the two heaters, my house's ambient temp dropped down to 32 degrees and the tank dropped into the 50s. Even with the two heaters, I was only able to maintain a temp of around 62. I finally got power back last night and it seems my efforts mostly paid off. It seems almost all of my 10 fish are alive, with my Yasha Goby still being MIA, and my poor fathead Anthias alive but doing very poorly. My Clowns, Yellow Tang, Grammas, and Damsel are all doing good and acting pretty much normal again and my baby Mandarins are slowly recovering. Most of my inverts seem alive too, minus a few snails.

Now for the new problems. Unfortunately, I lost all my bubble corals so there was a lot of rotting flesh in there overnight. I woke up today to the Anemones looking great and some my hammers looking pretty good too, but the water was cloudy. As the morning went on, the water got even cloudier, and the both the hammers and the anemones have started to look a bit worse. Not concerned about the anemones, I'm sure they'll be fine, but the hammers look pretty rough now.

All clearly dead corals have been removed from the tank, and I've dumped in a full bottle of 32oz Fritz Nitrifying bacteria and 250ml Microbacter 7 into the tank. I'm sure there is an ammonia issue without even needing to test as there's been a TON of die off on my rocks, which were very much aged and alive prior to this.

I've done a 30g water change on my 60g tank, and even after a few hours now - the water remains fairly cloudy. As mentioned, most of the fish are acting perfectly normal though I haven't fed them yet as I'm worried about the clean-up crew not really functioning well currently and causing more ammonia issues. Pretty much all of the corals left look deeply unhappy but hopefully not on the verge of death anymore.

I've set my light to 30% 30 day acclimation as I imagine the corals will need some time to rebound. Ultimately, my question is what do next and what to prioritize? Right now, the tank is running pretty much as it usually would with two powerheads, return pumps going, only difference is I'm not running my skimmer as I want the Fritz Bacteria to colonize. I have another bottle I can dump in and can get more nitrifying bacteria if need be. Would running the skimmer be more beneficial at this point?
I'm not keen on tearing apart my tank and disturbing my animals to clean the rocks, but I could brush them underwater and do more water changes if need be. I also have Phyto on hand and can get pods fairly quickly.

So, what to do next?
Maintain light and water flow, Add high grade carbon and after water change do a 2 gallon water change daily for 7-10 days and test every 48 hours to confirm ammonia and nitrate are dropping and Not increasing

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintain light and water flow, Add high grade carbon and after water change do a 2 gallon water change daily for 7-10 days and test every 48 hours to confirm ammonia and nitrate are dropping and Not increasing

Thanks! They've got light and water flow for sure. I'll keep up with the water changes too. Do you think I should turn my skimmer on, or focus on letting the nitrifying bacteria colonize?

I have ChemiPure Blue and Purigen running in my sump currently. They're not very old and wouldn't need to be replaced in normal circumstances, should I replace them now? Any other recommendations for carbon?

Also - I can confirm all my fish survived. Just tried feeding a bit and my little Yasha Goby came out from his rock and was grabbing food. Outside of him and my Tang, the other fish had minimal appetites it seems, but I think they all may have ate a bit at least.

On the topic of fish, the only one not doing well is my Fathead Anthias. She has been really struggling, and even when the heat got up to normal levels this morning, she was heavily breathing and not able to swim well. I ended up moving her into a bucket with an aerator and heater, with fresh saltwater. She hasn't really improved. Any tips or recommendations to help her? She's a wonderful fish and I'd love to help her pull through if there's anything I can do.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks! They've got light and water flow for sure. I'll keep up with the water changes too. Do you think I should turn my skimmer on, or focus on letting the nitrifying bacteria colonize?

I have ChemiPure Blue and Purigen running in my sump currently. They're not very old and wouldn't need to be replaced in normal circumstances, should I replace them now? Any other recommendations for carbon?

Also - I can confirm all my fish survived. Just tried feeding a bit and my little Yasha Goby came out from his rock and was grabbing food. Outside of him and my Tang, the other fish had minimal appetites it seems, but I think they all may have ate a bit at least.

On the topic of fish, the only one not doing well is my Fathead Anthias. She has been really struggling, and even when the heat got up to normal levels this morning, she was heavily breathing and not able to swim well. I ended up moving her into a bucket with an aerator and heater, with fresh saltwater. She hasn't really improved. Any tips or recommendations to help her? She's a wonderful fish and I'd love to help her pull through if there's anything I can do.
Skimmer yes and ChemiPure Blue is my Go-To for carbon
Anthias delicate and often not forgiving

LA4lyfe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praying your Anthias Pulls through.

Had a similar situation with the Power going out due to a wind storm about a year ago. Thankfuly had a generator that allowed me to keep my fish alive.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have any air stones, I'd drop those in just for added stress relief for your fish. You'll be surprised what will come back. I'm very sorry for your losses and the stress you are going through.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, my little Anthias (Her name was Starburst) wasn't able to pull through. She was a wonderful fish who loved sitting on the sand bed with her Mandarin buddies. Everyone else is seemingly perfectly normal and the water is getting a bit less cloudy.

Corals are starting to slowly recover though I seem to have lost my Acantho. Moved it into a quarantine bucket with aerator and some KFC dip to see if it can possibly recover but I'm not hopeful. Seems like all my most expensive corals are the ones that died, unfortunately. Of course, the loss of life is sadder than any lost investment.

In any case, the tank is chugging along as it normally would. I fear my anemones may be splitting from the stress as they look a bit odd. I really don't need more anemones stinging everything but I guess we'll see how that pans out. Some of the corals look like they may be starting to come out a bit again, one of my hammers looks pretty good. Strangest of all, my ailing Elegance that has been recovering from Elegance Coral Syndrome, has recovered probably the fastest of any coral in my tank, including the soft corals.

Thanks for the help and kind words everyone. I'll keep this thread posted as the tank recovers.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Suffered another ~20 hour power outage Thursday night into Friday. Thankfully this time I was more prepared and I wrapped the tank up in 3 layers of blankets right away. I was able to get heaters running the following morning and amazingly, the blankets kept the tank incredibly warm and it barely dropped 2 degrees. Once the heaters were in, I kept the tank water level as is and kept the blankets on, of course.

The temperature never dropped below 77, and the fish/corals just had to live in the twilight zone for a day. No one seemed to care and many of the recovering corals were coming out well the next day once the lights were back on.

Grateful it worked out well the second time, I just wish I was more prepared the first time. I could've saved a lot of life.

Tank is doing great again, did a typical 15g water change today and there's no ammonia, nitrates and phos are normal levels.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's great news! Learning how to better handle it certainly softens the blow.

bratfink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in MI where DTE treats delivering electricity as an optional extra to their primary business of lobbying state govt for extra tax and rate hike credits…. We learnt by necessity to always have a backup generator on hand. Saved my tank numerous times.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never dose bottle bac in these events

Your filter bacteria don't die in these events and the only thing that drives up ammonia is rotting fish or no circulation

You need to rip clean the system before it goes eutrophic from all the lost mass from rocks and coral

Here is 300 examples of tank disassembly rip cleans, note the 100% success rate:

The irritant isn't ammonia its other lysed and dying cellular compounds

The bac bloom caused by massive bacterial addition is an additional oxygen tax to endure

You must lower your light levels a while to prevent or lessen bleaching after any insult

Removals are how to win, not additions, but reefs are pretty strong if the setpoints aren't passed.

Your tank still needs a rip clean to fix it the right way, and skipping a rip clean is dangerous even if things seem ok now

Massive gha and cyano and even dinos can likely occur due to leftover rotting mass lining the small crevices of the tank

Post a tank pic please so we can see status

Last edited:
OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never dose bottle bac in these events

Your filter bacteria don't die in these events and the only thing that drives up ammonia is rotting fish or no circulation

You need to rip clean the system before it goes eutrophic from all the lost mass from rocks and coral

Here is 300 examples of tank disassembly rip cleans, note the 100% success rate:

The irritant isn't ammonia its other lysed and dying cellular compounds

The bac bloom caused by massive bacterial addition is an additional oxygen tax to endure

You must lower your light levels a while to prevent or lessen bleaching after any insult

Removals are how to win, not additions, but reefs are pretty strong if the setpoints aren't passed.

Your tank still needs a rip clean to fix it the right way, and skipping a rip clean is dangerous even if things seem ok now

Massive gha and cyano and even dinos can likely occur due to leftover rotting mass lining the small crevices of the tank

Post a tank pic please so we can see status

Appreciate the tips, though I didn't suffer a complete wipeout so nothing you describe here occurred. Tank bounced back pretty quickly after posting this.

At this point the tank is thriving better than ever before. See pic

Attachments

• IMG_8368.jpg
    IMG_8368.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 20

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the tips, though I didn't suffer a complete wipeout so nothing you describe here occurred. Tank bounced back pretty quickly after posting this.

At this point the tank is thriving better than ever before. See pic
Glad to see your tank is going strong like that!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back