Power Outage Crash

Culater94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife went into early labor at 31 weeks on Sunday. When we came home on Wednesday I found that power had been lost, probably for almost 24 hours. Lost all fish, all SPS frags and colonies, including Beach Bum I was growing out, and Solar Storm BTA I just purchased from POTO and most of my LPS. Removed all dead fish except two I cannot find (a mandarin I had for years and a clownfish), dead nems, shrimp and LPS colonies that I could see. Have been changing water at 15% per day, most I have been able to do in between going back and forth to hospital to see my newborn son (obviously my first priority)

I was going to totally break down the tank and decide if I was going to start over, but my gonis have survived along with a rock nem, a few BTA's and most of my favias.

I added a new bag of chemipure blue.

My questions are is water change going to be enough, do I need to search out the two other fish, should I add something like Dr. Tims, or will the bacteria regenerate. A few snails made it along with at least two hermit crabs. The cloudiness of the water is going away, but the smell is still there.

Also what should I do about my 3" sand bed, vacuum the whole thing out, or leave it be.

Thank you in advance for guidance with this situation!

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, I am sorry for your losses!

Give the sandbed a vacuum for sure. Run carbon for a while too, that might help with clearing the water. Try to remove any dead snails too if you see them, I find they smell the worst in these situations...

I doubt you would need to add bacteria, with the deaths in the tank, that should have given the bacteria a good feeding.

Have you checked the chemistry yet? When the ammonia drops, throw in a bunch of hermit crabs to help with the cleanup.

How big is the tank? If it is a small tank, you may want to dig out the other fish...

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hugs on the tank but a huge congrats on your new son! Do what you can and rebuild. Your son as he gets older will be fascinated by your tank

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back