Power outage during cycle

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started cycling a new tank with the dr. Tim’s method yesterday. Well about an hour after I dosed the ammonia, we had a pretty big thunderstorm come through Phoenix and knocked out the power. I expected the power to come back on within an hour or so, but apparently the wind took out a power line and It’s now been about 24 hours with no power, and power company keeps pushing their estimate further out.

my question is, while there’s nothing living in the tank (dry rock and dry sand), will this mess with the cycle and affect anything? There’s no water flow, and it’s getting fairly warm (90 in the house). We were able to keep the other tank around 81 by floating some ice, but I’m sure the temp was closer to 85 on the tank that I just started cycling.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No as long as everything stays wet it shouldn’t mess anything (possibly put you behind a little for a prolonged outage) up but a still tank of water isn’t good either even during cycling but keep monitoring/testing. Start adding bacteria too if you haven’t already and be careful not overdose on ammonia. And do yourself a favor and get a portable power backup station or generator. So when your tank is fully stocked and has hundreds invested it has a power backup.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back