Power outage help!

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need some help...

I have an HOB skimmer with a separate pump (both plug into an outlet). Every time the power goes out it takes a few seconds for the skimmer to catch-up to the skimmer pump and the skimmer overflows.

Is there an outlet plug that when the power goes out and comes back on keeps the items plugged into it turned off?

I’m trying to prevent HOB skimmer overflows which have happened every single time!

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a battery backup. It is a large battery brick that keeps your electronics powered on for a period of time, depending on how large of a battery you get.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is.

46918C96-2D34-463F-95DB-1F1EB45F4C8A.png
I believe these stay off an additional 5 or 10 minutes after power is restored allowing tank levels to stabilize before the skimmer kicks on.

OP
OP
D

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping for something that needs manually reset, so I could just reset it when I’m home to check it. Maybe the delayed restart would work if I had one pump start before the other though. Battery backup would be ideal but wasn’t trying to dish out that kind of money right now lol

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping for something that needs manually reset, so I could just reset it when I’m home to check it. Maybe the delayed restart would work if I had one pump start before the other though. Battery backup would be ideal but wasn’t trying to dish out that kind of money right now lol
Only the skimmer gets plugged into the delay. The rest stays plugged as it is currently.

OP
OP
D

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only the skimmer gets plugged into the delay. The rest stays plugged as it is currently.

I’ll have to play around with that...might be a good idea. I just don’t want the skimmer pump to run dry. But that might also not matter...hmm

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to play around with that...might be a good idea. I just don’t want the skimmer pump to run dry. But that might also not matter...hmm
Very easy to replicate manually. Unplug entire system and let everything settle. Plug everything back in except the skimmer. Wait 5 minutes then plug in skimmer. Easy test before spending the $50.

OP
OP
D

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very easy to replicate manually. Unplug entire system and let everything settle. Plug everything back in except the skimmer. Wait 5 minutes then plug in skimmer. Easy test before spending the $50.

Definitely going to try this. Thanks!

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The delay timer works great. I have one on our small tank as there’s no need for a controller on it, my other two tanks are controlled by Apex setups.

OP
OP
D

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The delay timer works great. I have one on our small tank as there’s no need for a controller on it, my other two tanks are controlled by Apex setups.

Are you using the one from BRS or a different model?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the one from BRS made by Reef Octopus

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back