Power Outage Preparations

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I have some slightly different questions based on the use of UPS/battery backups during a power outage. Whilst I understand the benefits of generators, that isn't practical in my case for a number of reasons, so my questions relate to getting the maximum time out of a battery.

What items on your tank do you deem that you can offload in the event of an unplanned power outage?

How far would you let the temperature go (high or low) from your norm, before you were concerned?

For provision of circulation/air, what would be the minimum run time that the pump would need to be on (e.g. on permanently or just 15 mins an hour)? Would you keep the return pump running or revert to powerheads/air stones instead?

Presumably the lights could stay off for a while?

I'm trying to work out how long I could realistically keep the tank 'alive' with a UPS. It's only a Nano tank so I won't be drawing huge power, but I would want to be able to keep the essentials running as long as possible.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Battery backups and/or generator units

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm blessed to have mostly FOWLR tanks. I have a 24/7 powerhead that agitates the surface water pretty vigorously day-to-day, and it's hooked up to an IceCap battery back-up. I think if the power goes off, that surface agitation will be enough to see the fish through for a couple of days. (I live in Florida, so inside the house, a rise or fall in the tank-temperature should be tolerable.) Again, a large reef tank would be a different story. ;)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back