Power outage scare!!!

Griff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
woke up this morning to find the power was out. I immediately had huge rush of adrenaline concerned for my hippo, yellow tang, 2 clowns, six line and 3 chromis. They're currently towards the end of a 30 day quarentine/copper bath. I had to think quick and remembered my jeep has a standard power outlet in it. I grabbed the keys moved it to the back yard and ran an extension cord through a basement window. Thankfully all fish are looking good. Lesson learned, get a battery back up or generator asap!

Scott1242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you go battery back up or generator? I live in AZ and the monsoon season is here. I need something for power but not sure what to get.

OP
OP
Griff

Griff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep going back and forth. I looked into generators and that led to me wanting a generator that is automatic and runs the whole house. Which was about 10-15k installed. I could just do a gas generator that would only run the tank but then it's not automatic like the propane whole house generator or like the battery backup. after all the consideration I think I'm going to go battery backup because of cost and the automatic on.

Scott1242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep going back and forth. I looked into generators and that led to me wanting a generator that is automatic and runs the whole house. Which was about 10-15k installed. I could just do a gas generator that would only run the tank but then it's not automatic like the propane whole house generator or like the battery backup. after all the consideration I think I'm going to go battery backup because of cost and the automatic on.
What battery back up? The one that keeps popping up for me is Ecotech Marine but that looks like it only runs a certain type of equipment that I do not own.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a portable propane generator (4000w) for emergencies like this. It'll run my tanks, fridge and a handful of other things too. I also got a battery-operated air pump that comes on automatically when there's a power loss; it was less than $20.

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was thinking along the same lines of a 10-15k auto backup generator, but now I'm leaning towards solar panels... Cost will be higher, but at least they do something when the power is functioning properly instead of just sitting there.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back