Power Outage - UPS Battery Backup

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to know which pieces of equipment should I prioritize in plugging into a UPS battery backup to ensure there is no interruption if a power outage should occur. I'm assuming that a wavemaker or pump should be the first, heater second, and Lights 3rd?

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater will take up too much power and drain the battery very quickly. For me I have it set so only my power heads will turn on and nothing else. The most important part during a power outage is surface agitation for oxygen

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a battery backup for 2 of my power heads nothing else.
Those little battery's will drain fast with anything else.
The brand specific ones ecotech for mp40 for example, are great as they will slow the pumps to stretch the power usage.

If the outage is going to last longer than a few hours it's Genny time.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way that would trigger the air pump to turn on when there’s an outage?
There are battery powered air pumps that plug into AC for the sole purpose of detecting power outage and the pumps turn on only when no power. Penn-Plax B11 is just one example of this.

That said, I don't personally leave air lines and air stones in my tank just for cosmetic reasons.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is what I focus on first. I now have a whole house generator set up, so I worry less about outages. I use APC 1500 UPS to condition the power going to the tank/controllers/etc. The UPS also bridges the time between commercial power failure and the generator's start and power transfer.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are battery powered air pumps that plug into AC for the sole purpose of detecting power outage and the pumps turn on only when no power. Penn-Plax B11 is just one example of this.

That said, I don't personally leave air lines and air stones in my tank just for cosmetic reasons.
For many years I would hook one of these up when I travelled. I didn’t use the air stone, just left the tubing open on the end with a non metal weight holding it down. But, yes, you don’t really want them on normally.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now use 3 mp40 battery backups on my 180. I DIY replace the batteries every 4 years (on rotating years) to keep them fresh. I have 1 battery on 1 mp40 and 2 batteries on a different mp40. Hopefully will get several days out the double battery mp40.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now use 3 mp40 battery backups on my 180. I DIY replace the batteries every 4 years (on rotating years) to keep them fresh. I have 1 battery on 1 mp40 and 2 batteries on a different mp40. Hopefully will get several days out the double battery mp40.
@dwest are you replacing them with the Life PO4 batteries? I need a refresher on how to do this.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dwest are you replacing them with the Life PO4 batteries? I need a refresher on how to do this.
Hey Tim. Here’s the battery I use

And the screws
image.jpg

And the procedure

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to know which pieces of equipment should I prioritize in plugging into a UPS battery backup to ensure there is no interruption if a power outage should occur. I'm assuming that a wavemaker or pump should be the first, heater second, and Lights 3rd?
from experience from my horrible electric failure that crashed and killed my fish I for sure say air stone, pumps, skimmer (if you have one) and wave makers to keep water moving and oxygen in there. I had/still dont have (GAHHH I HATE RENTING) Ac so the temp went up while it was hot and the lack of water movement took oxygen out of the water. Jeez actually crying again now thinking of my fish friends and what happened because I miss them all so much

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tim. Here’s the battery I use

And the screws
image.jpg

And the procedure

Thank you so much! Had a power outage last night and my batteries are way too old so I'm going to get right on this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back