Power outage what to do?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have nothing on hand the stuff i linked are the one wanted to buy.
Oh, sorry. I thought you were listing things you have.
It's up to you... Either go to Home Depot and get insulation panels (the thick stuff they put on house frames) to wrap your tank in, and try it out; or just spend the $on a generator now. As others have said, the genny cannot be run indoors so you'll have to run a power cord through a window or something.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, sorry. I thought you were listing things you have.
It's up to you... Either go to Home Depot and get insulation panels (the thick stuff they put on house frames) to wrap your tank in, and try it out; or just spend the $on a generator now. As others have said, the genny cannot be run indoors so you'll have to run a power cord through a window or something.
I can get an electrix generator. 2000w. And put it inside from tomorrow. But my heaters are 1000w. Wouldnt that consume so much! And wont give me run time and the return pump

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the sump? I have to wrap that too? I have live rock in there or just display
Insulate everything you can. If you have glass tops for the tank, use them. You can also cover the sump, but don't completely seal it off. I'd use another piece of insulation and place it on the top.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get an electrix generator. 2000w. And put it inside from tomorrow. But my heaters are 1000w. Wouldnt that consume so much! And wont give me run time and the return pump
You CANNOT run a generator indoors!
As for the heaters, a generator with 2000 running watts should run a 1000w heater for a minimum of 2 hours.

Will anyone be home while you're at work?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant run gas my basement have no heat it gets to 66F. If i get a 2000w generator. Can i run my 1000w heater on it? And return pump m2 or would it get consumed fast?
A 2000w generator should sustain 2000w continuously. 11 or 12 hundred watts should consume pretty close to the rated 1/2 load fuel consumption. Read the specs, it should come close. Personally, if you can swing it, I would get one that can run some creature comforts for you and family(fridge, space heater, lights) this way you are ready for a real emergency. Trust me, animosity/ tension sets in pretty quickly if the family is miserable and you only have enough generator capacity for the tank

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2000w generator should sustain 2000w continuously. 11 or 12 hundred watts should consume pretty close to the rated 1/2 load fuel consumption. Read the specs, it should come close. Personally, if you can swing it, I would get one that can run some creature comforts for you and family(fridge, space heater, lights) this way you are ready for a real emergency. Trust me, animosity/ tension sets in pretty quickly if the family is miserable and you only have enough generator capacity for the tank
I start a new job monday. And nobody home monday. Im completely screwed

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even electric generators cant be inside?
Is this a battery with inverter? If so, state battery size for accurate calculations. I suggest a gas generator. But , as eeyore said, it cannot be ran inside. Should be 20+ feet away from the structure. Not abiding by this can be lethal(to you)

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a battery with inverter? If so, state battery size for accurate calculations. I suggest a gas generator. But , as eeyore said, it cannot be ran inside. Should be 20+ feet away from the structure. Not abiding by this can be lethal(to you)
The issue im facing here. Nobody here to eben run the generator. Im starting new job. Im literally scratching my head trying to figure out what to do. Ordered the insulation pads. And i dont know what else to do. I can get the 2000w generator.

POWER+ Nexus 2000-Watt Portable Power Station https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-NEXUS-POWER-STATION-KIT-2X7-5AH/1003130756

Bur how do i even install it in a way when power goes out it runs by itself im so lost

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue im facing here. Nobody here to eben run the generator. Im starting new job. Im literally scratching my head trying to figure out what to do. Ordered the insulation pads. And i dont know what else to do. I can get the 2000w generator.

POWER+ Nexus 2000-Watt Portable Power Station https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-NEXUS-POWER-STATION-KIT-2X7-5AH/1003130756

Bur how do i even install it in a way when power goes out it runs by itself im so lost
Chain/lock the generator to a tree and leave it. Don't need to watch it, unless you think it will be stolen... do you already have the batteries/ inverter?

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You know when the outage is. Get the basement as warm as possible. Use some space heaters or something. It will be totally fine over 6 hours if you can get the basement to 75 or so. By the time the power comes back I bet your tank is only down to 75. Won’t hurt it one bit.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't run a generator inside the house.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know when the outage is. Get the basement as warm as possible. Use some space heaters or something. It will be totally fine over 6 hours if you can get the basement to 75 or so. By the time the power comes back I bet your tank is only down to 75. Won’t hurt it one bit.
My basement. Is pretty huge old house we bought 3 years ago. No heating down stairs. And even a space heater wont get my basement to 75F. Its low as 66F in winter. The problem with chaining a gas generator outside. I have to leave a door open to get the cables downstairs to my tank. Also i wont feel safe running gas generator outside. Im at the office till 5:30 on monday an dthe outside is till 2:30. So i csnt even be there ro turn it off.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the battery backup for the in-tank water circulation only. 6 hours is nothing, but circulation keeps the oxygen supply going.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back