Power Outage?!? What to do!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of an inverter and battery do you have? Sources?
I don't have exact models on me right now but the inverter is nothing special, something I found on amazon. The battery is the larger marine deep cycle that Costco sells. I also use it for my trolling motor. It's a beast!

tonyc247

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gyre pump alone runs through a UPS Battery backup system for computers. It provides the most surface water turnover per wattage of anything I have. Next time some drunk moron crashes into the neighborhood transformer again (happened twice already) I’m covered for about 11 hrs of water movement. Lost a few $$$ fish last time it happened.
Which battery backup did you get? I have been looking and an open to solutions. Thanks

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 60 years, my power has never been “off” for more than 24 hours. I live in a big city.

I just have a battery backup ($100) that runs a small Jebao at 5watts at the surface. It lasts 6 days on lowest constant speed.

I’ve never lost gas in the same period as as long as the house is heated, the tank would never get lower than 65 degrees.

I realize that more rural settings would benefit more from the generator.

tonyc247

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 60 years, my power has never been “off” for more than 24 hours. I live in a big city.

I just have a battery backup ($100) that runs a small Jebao at 5watts at the surface. It lasts 6 days on lowest constant speed.

I’ve never lost gas in the same period as as long as the house is heated, the tank would never get lower than 65 degrees.

I realize that more rural settings would benefit more from the generator.
Which battery backup did you get? I’ve been researching and looking for one. Thanks

A-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a cars charging system actually put out 2000 watts of power?
Most car alternator produce between 40 to 120 amps. Let say your car produces 70 amp X 12 volts = 840 Watt. you wont have available those 840 watts because some of that power will be used to power up the engine ECU, sensors, lights, etc. Then you will loose more power when you convert from DC to AC.
In a desperate situation if you keep the A/C , lighs and radio off in your car you will have some power available to run a MAG DRIVE circulation pump and maybe some other stuff but not much before you overload the alternator, then the battery car will become the power source until losses the energy and your car and aquarium will shut off. It could work but you have to power the most essential stuff .
Better preparation leads to better results. I will have a 2000 watt generator. they are small and not very loud.
Here in Florida is a must. hurricanes can leave us without electricity for several days/weeks.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most car alternator produce between 40 to 120 amps. Let say your car produces 70 amp X 12 volts = 840 Watt. you wont have available those 840 watts because some of that power will be used to power up the engine ECU, sensors, lights, etc. Then you will loose more power when you convert from DC to AC.
In a desperate situation if you keep the A/C , lighs and radio off in your car you will have some power available to run a MAG DRIVE circulation pump and maybe some other stuff but not much before you overload the alternator, then the battery car will become the power source until losses the energy and your car and aquarium will shut off. It could work but you have to power the most essential stuff .
Better preparation leads to better results. I will have a 2000 watt generator. they are small and not very loud.
Here in Florida is a must. hurricanes can leave us without electricity for several days/weeks.
That makes sense. Generator it is. I seen one with two 120v outlets. Was thinking i could just run an extension cord under the door sweep to the tank. We actually had a power outage that lasted 5 hours. It was cold and the house only dropped to 20c from 24c. I wish i could live in Florida id take hurricanes over 9 months of freezing any day in Canada.

fade2black

Is this thing on?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't most big box store generator 120 outlets unregulated? It is really dirty power if you ever look at the sine wave it produces. Those Honda i series generators produce really clean power at a higher expense though.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't most big box store generator 120 outlets unregulated? It is really dirty power if you ever look at the sine wave it produces. Those Honda i series generators produce really clean power at a higher expense though.
Thats a good question. Whats dirty power? A problem?

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running this computer UPS system, dont recall the specs but I got the biggest one I could while keeping it around 150$ or so. At a certain size the price jumped drastically so I went just shy of that point. so far this thing has been great. Its obviously not a long term solution but bridges the gap to get you through the night. I intentionally run only the gyre pump on the backed up outlets to get the max run time.
A9A14284-DC8A-48A9-939E-B2BF3B0762CD.jpeg

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running this computer UPS system, dont recall the specs but I got the biggest one I could while keeping it around 150$ or so. At a certain size the price jumped drastically so I went just shy of that point. so far this thing has been great. Its obviously not a long term solution but bridges the gap to get you through the night. I intentionally run only the gyre pump on the backed up outlets to get the max run time.
A9A14284-DC8A-48A9-939E-B2BF3B0762CD.jpeg
How much is that rated for? Like how long could you run your gyre for?

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to unplug it and see what it says, it I’m pretty sure its good for 10-12 hrs. I have the 1500kv model.

Reeferstin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's going to happen. Like how we all floss our teeth each morning. Get real.
Ive managed to make my generator last 7 years so far simply starting it once a month and letting it run for a hour , whenever i think about something i must do i write it on my dry erase board that helps me so much remembering the little stuff!

Trivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are meant to run motors, it electronics. Not to mention they are loud. Your neighbors (unless they run one too) won’t be happy at night.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neighbors will be ticked cause they weren’t prepared. I have two 6500watt generators one to keep the fridge and freezers going and the other to run fans and anything else. Yes they are little louder than the Honda’s but 1/4 the price. None of my neighbors have complained. Much like Florida we get hurricanes as well here and can have power lose for a while. I also put an inline fuel shutoff valve and run the carburetor dry before storage never have a problem. Both are easily assessable and I start them once a month for about 20 minutes check that they are generating electricity call it good.

Last edited:

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm out in the woods of NH and lose power a good dozen times a year. My last Champion generator from BJs lasted 13 years and I replaced it just because it was 13 years old. I am now looking into setting up a battery backup for the tank so I don't have to rush to start the generator if I'm at work or don't need the heat.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive managed to make my generator last 7 years so far simply starting it once a month and letting it run for a hour , whenever i think about something i must do i write it on my dry erase board that helps me so much remembering the little stuff!
Mine is used to smoke meat. Well, not directly, but I use it to run my pellet smoker about every month or so.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back