Power outage while cycling tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kmore1219
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kmore1219

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 17, 2016
Messages
361
Reaction score
281
Location
Weston, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so I just started cycling my tank yesterday and unfortunately due to Hurricane Hermine my power has been out since 1 am. I was wondering what happens to a cycling tank if all the water is at standstill? I'm not too mad about the outage seeing as I'm only just starting the cycle and I only have a 20 gallon tank, so restarting the tank isn't too much of an inconvenience to me.
 
Since you've only been cycling for a day, there isn't much going on in your tank yet. Just continue as usual and test your parameters in a few days to see where you're at.
 
it will still cycle, I cant think of anything shy of drying or meds that would stop a cycle when hydration begins, not when we dose things, which only affects the end time to completion. water not autoclaved and not put inside a tank inside a positive pressure controlled lab=cycle/matter of time
 
if you are doing fully coralline live rock, which doesn't need to cycle it needs to respire, you should keep up water changes if poss to avoid stagnation. if you are doing white dry rock/substrate cycling then you have the option of changing out the water and waiting, so it wont go rotten, or just keeping very low ammonia concentrations until whats in there is used up and wait until circulation resumes so keep things aerobic avoids the stink/cloudy water. none of that would stop deposition of nitrifiers into a standing body of water either way.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new