Power outage Will my fish be okay?

puffer-face

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 15, 2025
Messages
4
Reaction score
3
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I’m panicking a bit and my anxiety causes me to go into worst case scenario thinking. I’m not home right now, no one is and won’t be for about 3 hours, and there’s a power outage -planned by the city but not announced to the residents. I have a 120 gallon tank with live rocks, a tang, and a dog faced puffer. I don’t have a battery operated pump. I plan to dip a cup into the tank and pour the tank water back in to encourage some oxygenation. Thankfully where I live the high is 71 right now so the temperature isn’t what I’m worried about. I’m worried about the oxygen and filter (though less so than the oxygen) would my fish be fine until I get back?
 
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
Upvote 0
Hello!

I’m panicking a bit and my anxiety causes me to go into worst case scenario thinking. I’m not home right now, no one is and won’t be for about 3 hours, and there’s a power outage -planned by the city but not announced to the residents. I have a 120 gallon tank with live rocks, a tang, and a dog faced puffer. I don’t have a battery operated pump. I plan to dip a cup into the tank and pour the tank water back in to encourage some oxygenation. Thankfully where I live the high is 71 right now so the temperature isn’t what I’m worried about. I’m worried about the oxygen and filter (though less so than the oxygen) would my fish be fine until I get back?
You should be good even up to 12 hours. Keep in mind, fish when shipped are in bags 12-24 hours and endure it well
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hello!

I’m panicking a bit and my anxiety causes me to go into worst case scenario thinking. I’m not home right now, no one is and won’t be for about 3 hours, and there’s a power outage -planned by the city but not announced to the residents. I have a 120 gallon tank with live rocks, a tang, and a dog faced puffer. I don’t have a battery operated pump. I plan to dip a cup into the tank and pour the tank water back in to encourage some oxygenation. Thankfully where I live the high is 71 right now so the temperature isn’t what I’m worried about. I’m worried about the oxygen and filter (though less so than the oxygen) would my fish be fine until I get back?
My fish were okay when I got back. Thankfully I’m in an area where, if we get a power outage it’s only a few hours, but I will be getting a battery powdered filter/pump. I can’t think of the technical term of it right now. My fish seem to be fine, swimming around and such. Hopefully there’s no lingering damage from this
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to R2R! Can you go to any pets tore and pick up some battery power airpump, that might keep you going also.
 
Upvote 0

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new